Dashboard vs. Konfabulator

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 30, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

Finally....the voice of reason.

It was worth reading the entire story.

I heartily aggree with his observations. Is Apple (and any other software dev out there), expected to not improve their product for fear that some crappy widget makers will get pissed off and threaten to switch platforms?

Come on people.

The goal of the entire dev community is to (or should be) to improve our computing experience. It's not a lottery to get paid off for ideas.

Nothing is really new anyway, everything is "ripped off"

3. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Agreed. This is a great article and the author has many great points. It's clear that Apple has not ripped off Konfabulator in any way. What they've done is basically take the concept (a concept that was originally Apple's from the early '80s) to an entirely new level.

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Ouch too different under the hood...

Sort of kills the idea of him being able to offer Dashboard products, unless he wants to redo everything.

But it is a new platform for ideas that people can make some money off of, if they wish.

5. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

the voice of reason

Glad you all liked it. An informed article that makes sense.

6. macrumors 6502a

macridah

We should let Arlo Rose read this so he can shut his trap once and for all.

7. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Before, I was lukewarm to the whole idea of Dashboard and did think it was something of a ripoff, even though I thought the ripoff was justified if it was an improvement. Not only did the author of this article achieve his primary purpose of demonstrating that Dashboard is not a ripoff, but he achieved something else, as well, if inadvertently. He has gotten me excited about Dashboard and about the idea of scripting my own widgets, gadgets, or whatever you'd like to call them. I don't know any compiled languages (yet), but I'm sure I could do some interesting things with HTML, CSS, and javascript. I'm really excited about the prospects.

edit: To the poster who suggested that Arlo Rose shut his trap, I don't think he's been opening it that much in the first place. It has been everyone else in the Konfabulator community.

edit again: Oh, I guess Arlo Rose is being pissy, my mistake. I hadn't read the whole article...And I think that I mixed up ol' Arlo with the folks at Quicksilver, who, if I am not mistaken, are dealing with this very gracefully.

8. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

im glad apple is comming out with widgets. I paid for konfabulator, and now they have competition. This will spawn better widgets all around for everyone.

9. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Well... Quicksilver (and Butler) are free. I haven't read anything about how LaunchBar folks have reacted. In general, I think apps of this sort can benefit by using Spotlight's metadata engine.

10. macrumors 6502a

Dahl

11. macrumors member

12. macrumors member

I agree with much of what the author wrote in the article.

I disagree with those of you that are annoyed with those are who were upset about Apple's spinoff of Kanfabulator. If I was Mr. Rose, I would be upset, too.

13. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Geek Patrol's "Arlo Rose on Tiger's Dashboard" interview and comments summarized the issues pretty well.

Other than David Hyatt's weblog comments, has Apple made any public acknowledgment of this matter? All I've seen are speculations why they did what they did the way they did it.