Dashboard wannabe, anyone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adrian-cg, Jan 1, 2006.

1. adrian-cg macrumors member

http://widgets.yahoo.com/

If you go to the gallery the search fiels is the exact same as the apple apps and widget gallery. o_O

2. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

That would be Konfabulator. Yahoo bought Konfabulator a while back I think.

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Yahoo widget was originally konfabulator and technically you could call dashboard a konfabulator wannabe.

4. Jesus macrumors 6502

That search bar is the standard apple browser search bar, view this page using a windows machine and the search bar will change accordingly. If your surf the web for long enough, and find a pge that does not use a custom search bar, it will be the same one.

BTW, Konfabulator came first.

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

6. adrian-cg thread starter macrumors member

oh >_> I didn't know that, thanks for enlighthening me lol

Dashboard is still better :p

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i tried it once. buggy. and it hogged resources. ill pass.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Maybe, just maybe Dashboard was not a priority at the release of 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.4.

Has nothing to do with how cool and useful something is or was, it had to do with if the base work was ready and it was not. Safari was a starting point for widget implementation.

And we all know that if not done right, widgets can be a system hog *cough* Konf *cough* :rolleyes:

So what is your excuse for "Automator." Oh I am sorry Apple introduced it just because it "cool." :rolleyes:

Automator, is only the beginning of what its true purpose is meant for, server end. ;)

10. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

11. jmufellow macrumors regular

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Not to mention that Konfabulator was a total rip-off of Desk Accessories in the first place.

But anyway. Now even Yahoo is paying a lot of attention to OS X. I really think the industry at this point is starting to slant toward the Mac platform. Sure, we may not have 94% market share in the next couple of years, but I'm betting we'll kick Microsoft's ass soon enough! Woot! (but I still love my xbox)

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Thank you for paying attention to the posts on this thread. ;)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't see a point in there at all, or how it relates to what I said. Maybe I'll look again.

15. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The point is that Apple has more important things to fix under the hood of Mac OS X. Having widgets was not one of them to implement.

People were complaining about, stability, security, compatibility, etc...of the OS..they were not asking for widgets at the time. When 10.2 was stable to be even called a workable OS they decided to concentrate they efforts on making it faster and more secure, thus 10.3. With 10.4 they decide to add a few "fun additions." Since at this time they had completed most of the rotten work.

Priorities, and Dashboard was not one of them. As there was groundwork required for it to run well, if not done right it would have been a system hog and you would have people complaining as to why Apple included this system hog of "eye candy." ;)

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ah, ok, but it doesn't mean that Dashboard was ever in their plans. They probably saw the potential of having widgets when they took a look at Konfabulator. Heck, there were probably people at Apple who used Konfabulator.

Whether Dashboard is better than Konfabulator is also a bit irrelevent. It doesn't mean Apple didn't decide to go ahead with something like Dashboard because of Konfabulator. I'm not saying that Apple only started Dashboard because of Konfabulator, but I'm just saying that there is this possibility and people dismiss it without even wondering if they did. For most people, either Apple came up with it first in the 1980s, or Dashboard is a ripoff of Konfabulator. Why not a bit of both?

All this talk about what happened in the 1980s seems irrelevent to me. The point is that if Konfabulator never existed, Apple may have never added Dashboard to OSX, whether the groundwork was there or not, or whether Apple did implement something like this in the '80s.

17. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The Konf creator used to work for Apple and I believe he also did some work on Apple Desktop Accessories.

Apple did not use it in Mac OS X, for whatever reason. Maybe they had other more important things to work on first.

The ex-Apple employee decides to create Konf from Apple original concept, as he also worked on that team and it got scrapped.

He stole the ADA concept and decided to create Konf, poor implementation.

It was also reported that there were quite a few Apple employees how were using Konf before the release of Dashboard at WWDC. And there is a very good chance that they decided to resurrect the ADA concept and give it a similar makeover as Konf. However with better implementation.

Apple started the who integration of Mac OS X, well before they released Safari.

There is certainly a chance that they decided to make ADA look like Konf, however in the end the creator of Konf used to work on the ADA team.

So what came first the chicken or the egg? ;)

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think that you're partly right. Apple did see the potential in Desk Accessories through Konfabulator and decided to provide a knock-off, as it did with the revision to Sherlock.

The problem is that Desk Accessories (Apple's or Digital Research's or Atari's) were convenient to use and Dashboard Widgets and Konfabulator Widgets are not. To me, it doesn't really matter than the developer of Konfabulator ripped off the source code for the JavaScript engine as much as he did a poor job making the whole package convenient to use.

It's a nice idea but Apple wasted time doing it.

Oh, and by the way, according to this, Dashboard Widgets will be working on KDE soon.

19. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I know the difference under the hood and i know that apple's Desk acessories was the "first" widgets.

Apple desk acessories were premative and konfabulator kinda took everything to the next level. Wether it was implemented well or not is not the point. the point is that konfabulator and dashboard are very similar in the stuff they do. And konfabulator was available to the public way before dashboard.

I know the under-the-hood differences but waht konfabulator and dashboard do is almost, if not exactly, the same thing.