Dashboard weather widget - only U.S.?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 5300cs, Apr 29, 2005.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I just finished installing and have been playing with Dashboard. It seems as though the weather bit will only work for U.S. cities .. is that true? :mad:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I thought that too, but type in your city, press RETURN and you should be right. It might take a couple of attempts - serious, I'm not trying to be patronising. I'm looking at Australian weather as we speak. :)

3. nightporter macrumors newbie

Yeah the above is correct, just click on i in bottom right corner of and type in your city. Takes a while for the changes to kick in though.

Isn't it great to get Tiger released before the rest of the world (not including New Zealanders).

I was originally going to only install on my iBook and then wait a while before installing on my Desktop. Not now....Tiger rocks! I'll be installing on my DP G4 Tomorrow :)

4. woodsey macrumors regular

Yeah, it works for me and im in australia (adelaide)

5. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

I just typed it in and it worked :rolleyes:

Yes, I am a yutz

6. Cali_Man macrumors member

Haven't had the chance to play with it myself, but since the dashboard demo on apple's site demonstrates the widget with Tokyo as a location, I'd say it's a safe bet international locations work fine.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Maybe not. When I first installed Tiger, I couldn't get international cities to come up either, but a few minutes later, it worked.

8. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Well though it has most larger international cities, it doesn't deign to have Wolverhampton, a city of some 300,000 people. Yet it has Stoke-on-Trent, a smaller city some 35 miles away?

Confused. :confused:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That is strange...is the weather substantially different in Wolverhampton and Stoke-on-Trent, FWIW?

Does this widget have an easy way to view weather in multiple cities? I know Lacero did some kind of thing which allowed him to have two weather widgets. One thing I used to like in My Yahoo, ages ago when I used it, is that I could list the weather in a dozen cities along the left, where I either frequently travelled or had friends/family. :)

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You can pull out 20 weather widgets, if you want. Any widget you can have multiple copies.

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Having had a play with Dashboard's Weather widget, I was a little bemused to find my home town of Bridlington in there – a small seaside resort with a predominant OAP population (not a lot of Tiger users there, I'll wager). The reason being, it turns out, that Brid has a Coastguard weather station. Maybe that's why Stoke is on there and Wolves isn't – Stoke may have a certain sort of weather station that Dashboard can access readings from.

Please note – I'm not suggesting for a second that Stoke has a Coastguard station. ;)

12. croshtique macrumors 6502

I'm sure that in a week or so someone will have written a widget that makes use of BBC Weather services (or your non-USA equivalent!)

13. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Well Stoke's where I go to uni, and obviously I travel there on an almost daily basis. It did actually happen this week - I left Wolverhampton in the morning in almost autumnal weather, arrived in Stoke on a gorgeous spring day, then when I returned, Wolverhampton was wet and nasty. :)

It's just a bit disappointing as whichever service Konfabulator's "The Weather" widget used (IIRC it was weather.com) did have Wolverhampton as an option, whereas it seems accuweather.com, which does the one for Dashboard, doesn't.

Anyone want to reverse engineer this widget to work with a Wolverhampton friendly weather service? :D