Dashboard widget link to Gen 4 iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JDOG_, Jul 9, 2004.

1. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I was just reading about Dashboard a little more on ThinkSecret (not finding much new information from that one...) and noticed the iTunes widget albeit certainly not a final version has a volume bezel and an iPod mini-like control wheel...could this be the next add-on to the iPod control wheel? A dedicated volume-control knob is certainly one of the things that can't be found in the iPod's good design & it would be nice to have one right outside the main wheel.

Attached Files:

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Would Apple go back to using physical rather than non-moving touch sensitive parts? I like the idea of having a separate volume scroller. I wonder if the 4th Gen will have a new operating system...

3. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

mmm i dont really like the way the volume control is set up, in the software. id rather have a hardware volume control, solid state or not :D a new interface would be cool, it would be a step foreward knowing apple. i was about to buy a new 15GB ipod, but realized they are about to be phased out and am now waiting for the next update...im really excited :D :D :D

4. raynegus macrumors regular

Yeah, a volume scroll wheel around the main wheel would be great. That way you could adjust the volume while you're messng with other stuff. It would also be great if they added a bluetooth transmitter (then you could use the iPod as a remote control).

An easy way to engage random/repeat would be nice too, so you didn't always have to scroll back to settings.

5. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i would upgrade my ipod if both the high-capacity models and the mini had the same scroll wheel that the current mini have. i'm still on my 5gig because i liked the buttons on the wheel too much.

this is a pretty good observation, JDOG_. though wouldn't it be too easy to accidently adjust the volume and the main scroll wheel at the same time? :confused:

6. aptmunich macrumors member

i also still have my gen2 model because i prefer the button layout on it to the gen 3 layout.

The mini is a definite improvment on that score imho.

"Would Apple go back to using physical rather than non-moving touch sensitive parts? I like the idea of having a separate volume scroller. I wonder if the 4th Gen will have a new operating system..."

Because function becomes before gimmickness. The mini also uses physical moving buttons on the scroll wheel because it's the best way to integrate that many buttons on such a small surface and still be easy to use.

I don't think that is really the volume wheel on the gen4's though, maybe you'll have a touch sensitive part on the screen to quickly slide the volume up and down? although that kind of goes against the whole wheel design i suppose!