Dashboard widget

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adamfilip, Jan 27, 2005.

1. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

I would like to make a widget for tiger

Im not much of a programmer.

what is involved and what do i need

2. Bear macrumors G3

Step 1:Wait until you can legally obtain a copy of Tiger.
    Step 2:Apple has some and will have more Dashboard Widget documentation up on their developers website.

3. dross macrumors regular

dross

What kind of widget do you want to creat?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Good advice. Also, you should at least be familiar with the technologies of HTML, JavaScript, and CSS, which are the basis of Dashboard Widgets.

For Step 2, visit Developing Dashboard Widgets on Apple's Developer site.

5. Logik macrumors 6502a

however it is possible to "create" widgets now within Panther ding dong. that was a pretty rude response so... you get one right back.

Also as stated, knowing JavaScript, HTML, CSS are a good start. Some advanced stuff may require you know Cocoa and Flash. Also Apple has some documentation up on how to start developing widgets without Tiger. I think that link was already posted.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I guess you quoted create for a reason there. You cannot create Dashboard widgets in Panther. Dashboard is only available as part of Tiger. And the original poster was asking about how to create Dashboard widgets.

7. Logik macrumors 6502a

actually you can. widgets use WebKit.. which is what safari uses.. you can create them and test them in safari since it's pretty much exactly what you'll get.. dashboard has a few extras in it that allow it to display a "webpage" without the "webpage"... so yes, you can create widgets without tiger. you can even test them .. you can't technically "use" them the way you will in tiger but it does work regardless of whether you have tiger or not.

EDIT: i guess i should note that you guys are thinking of this differently than me it seems. there are parts that are missing and not available in safari in panther.. but that doesn't mean you can't do a very large majority of the work now and then finish the rest when tiger comes out. there's also certain functions and such that are not available, such as using cocoa within a widget... however nearly anything you create is technically going to be a webpage... so quite a few widgets will work (as long as they aren't complicated and require functions not available) without tiger.. you just seem to forget that a widget is in it's truest form a webpage shown in a different way.

for more info go below and search for "dashboard"
    http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/index.html

8. Logik macrumors 6502a

http://www.thedashboarder.com/

and from their FAQ