Dashboard/Widgets are worthess- how do I kill them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by twanto, Dec 17, 2006.

1. twanto macrumors newbie

Ok so I'm probably the only one who thinks the whole dashboard thing is completely useless. Its a horrible use of system resources. Why should a frickin calculator take up so much RAM? C'mon apple. Anyway, how do I shut this crap off? I try to right click and quit from the menu bar but there is no "quit" option for the dashboard.

Thanks Steve Jobs. Thanks for not giving me the easy option to quit your useless crap program. WTF??? For a product that is supposed to be so great, why oh why are there so few choices?

I guess I should just be thankful the ibook was willing to share the mac experience with me.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Quit your whining.

TinkerTool will also disable Dashboard.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There's a standalone calculator, if you don't want to use the widget.

The majority of widget's memory usage is swapped out (virtual). My ~20 open widgets take less than 10MB each of real. They also do not take any CPU resources when not used (99.9% of them, anyway). I think if you close all open widgets, dashboard shouldn't be an issue.

4. NJuul macrumors 6502

You can always just delete Dashboard from your applications folder.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I find dashboard VERY useful. Two clicks and you have the information you need. I have yet to find a quicker/easier method of making conversions and translations.

6. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

If you never go to the Dashboard, it never starts up. Take the icon out of your Dock, disable the hot keys and mellow out...

Just found this on the above link:

7. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Why don't you just remove it from the dock and make sure you never use it!?

Simple.

Does it use system resources when it isn't being used???

Cheers!

8. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I would vouch for this being true, as every time i start my dashboard for the first time it takes abit to load up.

9. twanto thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I've read, it does. And the comptuer seems slower after the last update. mind you I didn't update it.

Thanks for the solutions people!

10. Arne macrumors regular

As far as I know the Dashboard process is started when you first access it. If you never start it, it will not use any RAM or processor time.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

12. Andrew05151 macrumors newbie

I don't think that's entirely true. I just booted without accessing the dashboard, yet the widgets are definitely running, as they're showing as active in activity monitor. In fact the calculator is taking 15 mbs of real memory, and 321 mbs of virtual memory....