1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Dashboard Widgets Coming to iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 12, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

CultofMac's Leander Kahney claims that Apple is going to allow developers to install Mac OS X Widgets onto the iPhone.
    As Dashboard Widgets are already Javascript/HTML elements, support on the iPhone already exists. But providing an easy installation and the ability to run outside of Safari would be welcome additions to the iPhone.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Now this could be kind of cool. I'd love to have my dopplar radar widget, dictionary/thesaurus, and a sports scores widget, along with all kinds of games.

3. macrumors 68000

This would be great. It is all I really need on my phone.

4. macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

iPod Touch support?

5. macrumors 68040

Telp

Kick ass! I bet this comes with leopard. I CANT WAIT!!!

6. macrumors 68000

FreeState

I think so too... after all Safari 3 allows for the user to create widgets from a web-page on the fly:

7. macrumors 68000

Dictionary and Thesuarus and the Simpsons Quote Widget!

neat!

(yah I get amused easily.)

8. macrumors regular

This is one of the reasons i think dashcode was created. Imagine when they announce this and all of the thousands of widgets that are already out there simply copy right over during sync. They can't make this a Leopard only feature though, with all the windows iPhone users. I am a mac user but my iPhone is synced to my windows pc due to my imac not having usb 2.0 (i know i need to upgrade).

9. macrumors 6502

craigverse

Yes, yes, yes!!! *herbal essences style*

10. macrumors 6502a

I'm also almost sure that Dashboard Widgets will be the eventual solution to 3rd party apps. The names will also be nicely differentiated: web apps vs. widgets.

But this part of the original article betrays a serious misunderstanding of technology:

"To run on the iPhone and provide interactivity, they’ll require JavaScript, which means the iPhone will shortly get a Java update. When? The source didn’t say.

But the source did say that Apple hasn’t released iPhone widgets yet because Java has proven to be a major draw on battery power. "

Repeat after me: Java has nothing to do with JavaScript. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. They're about as related as HTML and DirectX.

There is no need to install a JVM on iPhone to get Widgets to run. Apple is done with Java.

P.S. I see the blog is filled with comments saying the same... still, it can't seem to be said enough times...!

11. macrumors regular

Mr. Zorg

True that. But I'd still LOVE to be able to run MIDP/CDLC applets on the iPhone. That'd be sweet.

EDIT: Oh, and flash... So we can get all those nifty PopCap games. :)

12. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Ohhh if that's the case I will def pick up leopard.:D

13. macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

This would be awesome. One of my biggest complaints about the idea of developping apps in Safari is the obnoxiousness of not being able to get rid of that #@&% navigation bar. Space is tight enough without the bar.

14. macrumors G5

nagromme

Just be sure to allow non-Internet ones to be installed and NOT require any download. And watch the games and apps multiply :)

15. macrumors 68040

Telp

Well widgets are an OSX thing arent they?

16. macrumors 68000

And add the rumored off line data storage addition to safari....

A pretty good solution... (not native but until we do have an SDK)

17. macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I've been hoping to do. Add in Leopard's "Widget Builder", and I could easily make my own.

I really, really, really want a sports score widget (customizable for my teams / sports)... this should be easy to do.

Come on Apple! Make it happen!

18. macrumors 65816

This is a better solution than webapps, but not as good as real apps.

Windows users should be able to install these with iTunes without problems. No reason they have to actually run on the client computer to be installed to the iPhone.

19. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Yes! Yes! This is what I have been posting all along!

Maybe this will silence some of those WebApp haters.

20. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Exactly. They wouldn't have to be able to run on the client computer to run on the iPhone. You can download a Widget without installing it on your computer. Just like you can download a Widget onto a Windows box and install it on a Mac over a network. Although, that would seem a bit redundant...

21. macrumors 68040

ghall

That is an awesome idea! Still not a real SDK, but we're getting there.

22. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Now we're talking. Widgets are great mini apps and if I can use the ones I already like, then I will be very happy!! Goodbye to the pretenders.

23. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow! Widgets on the iPhone/iPod touch sound really cool! There's already thousands of widgets and it would kick butt to see them on the iPod touch!

24. macrumors 68000

FreeState

But with Safari for Windows coming out around the same time as Leopard Apple could make them run in Safari so that Windows users could test them out without putting them on their phones first. (Just a guess) And possibly do a widget clipping with the PC Safari too...

25. macrumors 6502a

yoman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I truly hope this is true. The amount of widgets out there are substantial. It would help us all during the transition period to native apps.