Dashboard Widgets Focus Group

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cubedco, Apr 28, 2005.

1. cubedco macrumors newbie

cubedco

Without a doubt Dashboard will thrive as one of the greatest additions to OS X environment. Though many of you gripe about Apple's high pricing, I think it's benefitial because it keeps us a niche community, binded by asthetics and useability.

The increase market will carry over PC-trash and by this I mean useless, poorly designed, no-attention-to-detail applications -- in the case of this thread, Dashboard Widgets.

Not that it directly matters for it is ultimately the end-users choice to download, nevertheless 3rd party developers should strive to adhere to standards... a recent blog article agrees: http://mikey-san.net/damage/archives/2005/04/simply_dashing.html

He points out some great ideas for widgets so I thought it'd be a good idea to discuss potential ideas. In addition, anyone who can offer services to assist with otehr developers.

For isntance, I no little programming but can do great GUI design. AIM: cubedcompanies -- EMAIL: cc_NOSPAMFOO@cubedcompanies.com (remove _NOSPAMFOO). If any developers need a front end designer, please contact me.

After reading through his blog, I'm really anticipating some great widgets.

2. pryu macrumors newbie

http://www.macwidgets.net/

-cough- :)

3. azdude macrumors 6502

Indeed... a voice recorder would be cool.

I'm surprised that Apple didn't create the iChat 3.0 buddy list to be a dashboard widget. What a perfect use!

4. cubedco thread starter macrumors newbie

cubedco

damn... now that's what i'm talking about. that's a hawt widget.

5. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Does anyone notice the iTunes widget to be extremely flaky? It works great at times and others, takes seconds to respond to a command or even a mouseover! It would be nice if there were an Airtunes speaker commander widget.

Also, as a part of iChat, a buddylist widget would be great. That would be one more window on my desktop to get out of the way. Right now is the buddy list docked on the left side of the page, the iTunes mini player on the top right, and my open apps in the middle.

Those are my ideas for everyone. Hope to see something in action!

-TJ

6. djdarlek macrumors regular

ME ME ME ME ME

And its really frustrating sometimes! Oh well.