Dashboard Widgets in the UK

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacSA, Apr 25, 2005.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

How many of the Dashboard Widgets are going to be useable in the UK or even the ret of the world? Some of them seem to made specifically for US users.

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

This is something I have wondered too (although it didn't stop me from purchasing tiger!). I have had problems with many similar apps for all OSs due to the apps being made entirely for the US market. I hope apple hasn't had an oversight, or maybe a localisation pack will come out...

3. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I think all the widgets will be apple to be used in the UK, Europe everywhere. Yellow pages you have everywhere...Flight imformation you can get everywhere...Weather everywhere...

So far to me it seems like every widget that apple offers is useable everywhere..well i am sure there are some smaller countries that most prolly wont be supported, but i would say atleast 80% would be...

4. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Remember Sherlock in Jaguar.. totally useless on the whole unless you lived in the states.

That thesaurus in tiger is US English only too ( from what I hear )... ( really, NO excuse for that.. its not difficult to get localised versions ).

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The Apple site says the Yellow Pages widget searches US business numbers so it looks like that one might be out – I think the Flight Tracker loses some functionality too but don't quite me on that. I personally will be quite disappointed if the Weather widget isn't rest of the world compatible...

6. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

According to Apple, the Weather Widget is indeed compatible with the rest of the world.
    -Chase

7. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I'm guessing we'll have to make our own then.

Shouldnt be too bad. I'm definately going to look into it as soon as my Tiger arrives. I was reading up on how widgets are made and its easy stuff. The hard part is coming up with a useful widget, rather than a gimmiky one. Conversion from US widgets to UK shouldnt be too hard providing there is a relevant UK resource (i.e. Amazon.com/.co.uk)

Jaffa - i notice your 40 mins drive from me - you got your Tiger disc yet?

I know apple quoted 29th April for me, but I'm envious of the Americans who've already got theirs!

8. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Cleethorpes...hee...sorry made me smile, memories of a bleak summer childhood holiday.
    Back on topic, the dictionary being US English is just plain wrong...its ENGLISH. I'm stopping there before I start ranting about the cancereous US culture.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The flight tracker in Sherlock worked with international flights so that one might be OK.

Someone on dashboardwidgets.com has come up with a partial UK Yell.com one. You can put the search term in on the widget but the results still open in Safari.

I get the feeling that there are more Mac users in the UK now than there were in the Sherlock days and from what I've read, it's easier to create a widget than it was to create a Sherlock channel so I'm hopeful that we'll end up with local developers making international widgets.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Most people in the uk got their panther discs and week and a half after the release date, even though apple said they'd be delivered the night of the release...i'm predicting around the end of next week for most deliveries.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's sort of correct to be in US English :( The local (as per computer specs at least) is EN and this is US english. It would not be so bad is OSX had proper EN_gb (which I believe is the local for UK English) support.

12. daijones macrumors member

Yellow pages and parcel tracking

As well as Yellow Pages finding US numbers only, I believe the parcel tracking widget only tracks US parcels

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, en_GB is proper English, and OS X support for it is very small. RealPlayer is the only app I've seen that supports it.

14. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

:rolleyes: Oh well......... it looks like Dashboard isn't going to be of much use to the rest of the world.

15. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I'm sure that some 3rd party developers will write some UK friendly Widgets. Konfabulator has some so no doubt there will be some for Dashboard in time. I certainly hope so as it pains me to know that every time I look at the Google search bar in Safari it is Google.com and not .co.uk - I know that Acidsearch fixes that but after 10.3.9 Acidsearch made Safari unuseable. I wish Apple had given the option for international Google searches in Tiger :(

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No such luck I'm afraid!

Anyway, looking at Apple's site and what's been discussed here it looks like us non US-types won't do too badly from the default widgets, and worse case scenario we can go third party. Any Europeans lucky enough to get Tiger delivered early care to fill us in?

17. andysmith macrumors 6502

My Tiger order's still saying 'Open' :(
    I wonder if it's too late to cancel? My office is only 2mins away from the Bullring Apple Store which is opening on Friday, so I could pick up a copy from there. (and free t-shirt hopefully :D)

But saying that, I got my copy of iLife a day before the UK release date.

18. shuurajou macrumors regular

All of these widges had/have the potential to be setup to work world wide. However, apple have made the choice of not allowing you to select your country on the flip side of yellow pages - OR the dictionary. However, the weather widget does work in the UK.

At least in my tiger anyway - which I got in the UK.

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I did read somewhere that someone ordering Tiger over the phone in the UK was told that unlike the US, there is no guarantee of delivery on 29th here. And it was more likely that they wouldn't ship until 28th/29th. So yes, next week may be more likely particularly with the bank holiday in the middle.

I work for a UK retailer and our retail copies aren't scheduled to arrive at our main warehouse until 28th.

20. 36183 Guest

Will the world time widget work in the uk?

JK

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

22. sykaryce macrumors newbie

hmmm..how about the flight tracker?

it didn't work for me..am trying to find flights from HK to sydney and there's suppose to be a flight in 2 hours..but it says no flights?!

:confused:

23. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

i dont see why this would be the case....doesnt every country have a yellow pages. The tracker might be true but that doesnt make it impossible not to make a widget that can do that...

24. dpclark macrumors member

I'm in goole - about fourty mins from each of you guys - no tiger yet - though apple shipped it yesterday afternoon - so I'm off work looking for the welcome orange truck pulling up alongside my house

25. myselfsince1978 macrumors newbie

There'll be tons of 3rd-party widgets in a few weeks. That's the concept behind dashboard. Have a look at dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/
    They already have listed 84 widgets and tiger isn't officially released yet. Be patient - this thing will rock!!!! :D