Dashboard widgets?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mauly, Apr 16, 2005.

1. mauly macrumors 6502

Do you have to subscribe to use the dashboard widgets? ie, Flight Tracker and Translator? or are they free!

If anyone can, can you list a complete list of widgets that are free or not?

or point me in the right direction to get this info..

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's up to the developer. Widgets are like mini-applications that you can use in fast doses. All the widgets included in Tiger are free, and I'm sure 99% of developed widgets will be freely available and usable.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Dashboard will be so cool. I hate fishing for stickies and calculator when I need them. Especially I don't like it when they clutter up my Dock. Dashboard would be so awesome that I could launch any app with the press of a button. Konfabulator was cool, but it was slow, unwieldy and prone to crash.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nope, they're included in Tiger and you don't need to pay to use them (besides buying Tiger of course :)). One thing to bear in mind though – as you're outside the States, you won't be able to get full usage from some of them – for example, the Yellow Pages widget lists US numbers only.

Already though there are quite a few third party widget sites springing up – there's no doubt these will fill the gaps for us international users, and add more new widgets than you ever could find uses for. Whether they'll be free or not will depend on the individual widget writers.

5. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Nothing to do with Widgets, but Jaffa, what a great day and a great last two seasons. I was not able to get to Hull today as I was stuck in Bristol. Sorry about that but it had to be said! I suppose most of you wont know what we are on about!

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

That's what Private Messages are for. Use it.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Don't worry – it is Tiger related. ;)

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Because they're open it shouldn't be too hard to edit the widget so it searches for the UK.

AppleMatt

9. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't no if this sounds sad but the dashboard is the thing that I'm most excited to have in tiger! It just seems to damn practical... :)

I'm still a Windows user untill the new iMac G5 is released, can't wait to get my hands on it and tiger, hopefully I'll find the dahboard to be a small part of the thrill as I've heard so many positive things about OS X.

10. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Meanwhile, Appleinsider is reporting that Apple plans to release exclusive widgets to .Mac subscribers after Tiger's unveiling. A great idea in my opinion - the perfect compromise between charging for widgets and making them free.

11. Logik macrumors 6502a

not so true. it's totally possible to write widgets in Cocoa (i believe) which would then be compiled and you wouldn't be able to actually edit them at all.

EDIT:
    however since this is an apple one, you probably can get the code to it without any difficulty.. just don't expect ALL of them to be so easily editable :p

12. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Here is a great site for people who are developing widgets to share them.

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/

There's a forum with tips and info on building your own widgets.

13. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Fair dos, I wouldn't be surprised if the stock ticker was compiled.

AppleMatt

14. Logik macrumors 6502a

flight tracker too.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No, I don't think so...
    from Apple

16. Logik macrumors 6502a

Bssst wrong.. you can create Gadget Plugins. What this means is that if you are so inclined you can write the basic visual end of the plugin in HTML, CSS and Javascript, then write a PLUGIN using Cocoa that then maps a function or functions into JavaScript, allowing you to execute Cocoa code within your gadget via javascript.

so it is entirely possible to create an almost fully closed source gadget (or whatever they're now calling these dashboard objects).. in the WWDC stuff they called them gadgets.

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, I can see that (way down on the same page as I linked to above):
    That's actually the first time I read about Cocoa-widgets... Now we're talking... that's actually quite cool...

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... I was looking at maybe picking up a .Mac subscription box when I visit the Regent Street store next month. The £20 off, new Tiger features and little perks like this may just twist my arm...

20. Logik macrumors 6502a

speaking of which you can get .mac for $70 right now in the US... current subscribers or new. i was looking at getting it simply for syncing purposes