Dashcode Beta available!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MisterEd, Jan 4, 2007.

1. MisterEd macrumors 6502

This is available for anyone to try :)

Apple - Dashcode Beta

I've had a quick play with it, seems pretty cool in terms of ease of use and what you can do with it.

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Thanks for the heads up! Will be playing with that tonight

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's been out for a couple of weeks, I'm no good at programming so I can't get my head around anything more advanced than fiddling with the built-in templates but it's still pretty cool.

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Is this the stable version of the software that was leaked a few years ago?

I suppose it shows how long Apple take to develop a 'relatively' simple piece of software. An eye-opener to all of us non-software programmers.

This beat expires in July '07. Is this any indication as to the release date of 10.5 maybe...

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think it is safe to assume that 10.5 will be released before then.
    Trials (like UB PS) often go over the time that the final product is due for release.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

A few years ago??

I did appear with the inital release of the Macbook (a year ago) IIRC.

Can't remeber hearing anything about it before then.

The software is perfectly useable in its current form ( i havent found anything wrong at all)

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Less than a year ago - the MacBook came out in May.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I just made one (I've never even tried making a program before), it was incredibly easy. I would like to share it (I don't have a website), is there a way too, for free?

9. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

10. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Cheers for that! I was about halfway through coding my own widget, this looks like it will be much, much easier...

Immediate observations:

Though user friendly, there are a lot of features I'd like to see in the final. It would be great if the layers of the widget worked more like Photoshop (i.e., that elements could be swapped between different sections). Also, if the arrows applied to moving objects, not opening and closing layer "folders" (command+arrows moves objects, those two should be flipped IMO). Also, some basic image manipulation would be nice; nothing fancy like layering or altering color or appearance, just the ability to round corners or trim images. You obviously will need Gimp or Photoshop to get your images to look the way you want them, but it would be nice to have some sort of a snap system that would snap the images to conform to your widget design.

But overall I'm definitely enjoying it. What took me a week of dissecting other widgets in BBedit and coding took me about ten minutes in Dashcode.

Now if there was just some better system of cataloging all the myriad of widgets that will be flooding the market once Leopard comes out...

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You want Dashcode Pro. If this feature of Leopard becomes popular I expect Apple will continue to upgrade it. Maybe it will get added to iLife.

12. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I guess I would like to see a Dashcode Pro...

This is all just coming from a part-time freelance designer and slightly above amateur coder's perspective. The app itself is saving me hours and hours and hours, and I can get what I want from editing the source code once I lay it out as I want it to look. So all in all, I am pleased. And really, though those features would be nice, the amount of time they would save is pointless, because it isn't likely you'll need to be making 5 widgets a day, most people will make one or two.

13. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

Dashcode Developer Beta (for Tiger)

Apple has put up a Beta of their forthcoming Dashcode developer environment for Widgets. Dashcode will be released officially with Leopard, but seems to have been "scaled back" for Tiger compatibility.

The beta release will cease to function on July 15, 2007. It also looks like the Beta is only open to ADC members (you need to log in to get the .dmg).

Take a look:

[​IMG]

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's been out for almost a month, but there have been a bunch of posts on this in recent days. I guess Apple just started publicizing it.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The just delivered Apple Developer Connection News made a fuss about it.

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I started a thread on it weeks ago...weird that so many people are just getting to it now.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, yes, and there were reports of it being pre-loaded onto certain machines months ago but nothing says love like an e-mail from Apple.

18. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Did it take freaking forever to DL????

20MB, and it has 17 hours to go!!!!! WTF??? I dont think dial up is that slow!!

Its not on my end, cuz everything else is fast,

19. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Cool. I didn't realise I could just insert my Apple ID, agree with stuff and become an ADC member for free.

20. eliteteam macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think this is just awesome... need to get right to it.

21. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I was so excited when I got the email. I was scared to just hand it out to everyone though.... it does say that releasing it can get you in big trouble. Anyway, glad everyone else can try it :) Maybe they can find a use for it. I havent needed to use it yet.

22. bdkennedy1 macrumors 65816

Like how .Mac was developed?

23. Arne macrumors regular

I stumbled upon this when I was looking for Xcode in the ADC, in late Dezember! Where have you been MR? Busy with the iPhone?

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I know absolutely nothing about coding or widgets, and I was able to create a working widget in about 5 minutes.

Dashcode is definitely impressive.

25. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I agree.. it was pretty neat and definately impressed a few people when I showed them my own widget :)