Dashcode, do I have to know java?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aniej, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am interested in playng around a bit and trying to make some widgets, yet I do not know anything about programming. I checked out some posts, but I am still unclear as to whether I need to know things like java or does dashcode make it simple for someone like me? If dashcode is not the right application for a user like me to go with. I would really appreciate any suggestions you have to offer.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I just made a widget with NO programming knowledge.

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

From Apple:

Dashcode is a new application for developing Dashboard widgets coming in Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). Dashcode is everything you need to create great Dashboard widgets. With Dashcode you will have your widget running in minutes, even if you’ve never written a line of code. You will start your project by selecting one of the bundled templates, creating a valuable widget that is ready to run - and ready to be customized. The integrated workspace will have you smoothly transitioning from design and layout, to editing code, to debugging JavaScript, and finally deploying your great new widget.

5. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

6. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I think you're confusing Java and Javascript. While you don't need to know Javascript, it will become likely as you do more with widgets and dashcode.