Data Analysis On OS X - Save Me From MS Access

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kelmon, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Hi Guys,

In the coming weeks I'll be receiving my MacBook Pro and I'm intending to use this at work which is a *shock* Windows environment. Office:mac 2004 is a suitable replacement for the Windows Office 2003 applications with one major exception - MS Access. Now before people start recommending FileMaker I'd better note now that FileMaker seems damned expensive and mostly useful for producing database-backed applications. My requirements aren't so grand and I'm hoping that there is a more reasonable solution to my needs. Basically I use MS Access to analyse large datasets that are too big to go into Excel. Being able to relate tables of data together in Access is damned useful for being able to query the data that I am analysing. The data that I am working with is typically received in either Excel format or (particularly for datasets bigger than Excel's 65,000 record limit) text files with either fixed-width or comma separated data values. Are there any applications for the Mac that can be used to import this data and run queries on it, or am I going to be stuck with a choice of forking out for a FileMaker license or am I going to have to continue using Access through Parallels?

I don't much mind installing a database engine but I need a pretty easy way to get the data in, particularly if the data is coming from a fixed-width text file where I need to specify the positions of the data fields in the file.

Any suggestions or am I pretty much hosed on this one?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

OpenOffice 2 apparently has an MS Access-compatible database. I don't know how compatible "compatible" is.

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

It may be overkill for what you're after but maybe MySQL with CocoaMySQL as a front end for building SQL queries and manipulating the data. It getting on a bit (hasn't been updated since 2003), and it doesn't have user admin functions or an extended import wizard like Navicat (only the Windows version imports Access databases tho), but it's free, works well for me and imports CSV files nicely

4. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Cheers, guys. I think based on the recommendations that I'll give Neo Office a bash first and see if it's Base application will do the job for me (the OpenOffice site seems to indicate that it will) and, if that fails, try Navicat. It's just a shame that, for some odd reason, the Mac version of Navicat doesn't support Access or Excel at all for import/export. If it wasn't for that then I'd go for Navicat like a shot...

5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

You could always use Access on OS X using CrossOver if you don't find any alternative....