Data DVD Burning Help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by FunkyPurple, Dec 1, 2004.

1. FunkyPurple macrumors newbie

I'm trying to make a legal copy of a data dvd. I'm on a G4 running 10.3 I've I've experienced errors when burning dvd's with my internal cd/dvd-rom drive, so I've started to use my LaCie external drive as my main source and DVDBack up to save to my hard drive then burning with Toast.

The issue I'm having now is that this data dvd is not being recognized by DVDBackup or even MacTheRipper. I know I can't use my internal drive because I'm sure it will error out. (Trying to find why these errors occur using the internal drive is a whole other story - I'll accept any help or solution to that problem as well).

Normally I don't have a problem with regular dvd's using DVDBackup, but for some reason this isn't working.

I've searched these forums high an low and haven't found a solution.
    Can anyone help?? :confused:

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Mac the Ripper and DVD backup are programs specifically designed to make copies of content protected movie dvds. Just use the copy function in toast, what made you think to use those programs?

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Or, to burn a data DVD in general, just treat it like a big CD.

4. FunkyPurple thread starter macrumors newbie

Well aside from my cd burner drive - which couldn't be used in this case, I only have my dvd drive that works. So if I put the dvd data disk in the dvd drive, then how do I actually burn to a blank disk? This is why I was thinking that if I backup the information to my hard drive, then I can take the disk out the dvd drive, put in a blank disk then burn with Toast. I'm at a loss. What am I missing?

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Just put in the DVD, copy the files to your harddisk using the finder (just like you’d copy a folder or some files). Then put in the blank disk and burn this data using Toast. This should work, unless I’m mistaken somehow.

6. FunkyPurple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Veldek! I'll try that and let you know how I do. :)

7. FunkyPurple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hey Veldek that worked! Thank you to all for your suggestions! Jimsowden, now I see what you meant. Mechcozmo, great way to think of it. Guess I was making this more difficult than it had to be.

Thanks again. :)