Data Recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xappeal, Aug 30, 2006.

1. xappeal macrumors regular

Does anyone know of a way to either recover data from a corrupted .dmg file or recover data from a previous installation of osx?

I have been having hard drive crashes due to what I think is a problem with 3rd party ram. I have been backing up regularly by making complete images of my drive, reinstalling and then using the migration assistant to copy everything across.

But, the last time I did this I reinstalled OS X only to discover that my .dmg backup now has no mountable data, it's about 47GB...

I have used filesalvage to recover some stuff but because it only recovers some file formats it has been unable to recover the one tiny file I actually need.

I have tried some sudo commands, no joy. I know there is data in the backup, but how do I get to it. Either that or something that will allow me to search for different file types using forensic tools on my drive.

Please don't leave "you should backup......" messages, I have been almost daily. It's accessing the backups I made that is the problem.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Data Rescue II may be able to help get some data back from your drive. I don't know if it works with DMGs though. I imagine it will. Good luck. :)

3. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

It works for dmg files, but only if you can mount them. Cheers for the fast reply though.

I just wish there was some little script that could just force it to restore onto something...