Data Rescue X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fowler., Jul 6, 2004.

1. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I fugged up and formatted a really really, really, really important firewire hd.

I used DR X yesterday trying to get everything back. I got around 3700 of my 4500ish mp3s back, but those aren't important as the other stuff which doesn't seem like it wants to be recovered.

I have a bunch of different projects that range from InDesign files to Quark to a bunch of other formats. But everything that I get back seems very cryptic. All the file names have changed... the organization is basically gone.

The first time I tried Content Scan I got back a bunch of random image, video and audio files. Then I did thorough scan and got back a few dmg files.. but nothing of real relevance. Now, while I'm at work, I'm doing a combo content/thorough scan.

Basically, what other programs besides norton and disk warrior can I use? Or is there a way to us DR X and maintain a somewhat similar file structure as I had before everything was deleted?

2. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I've been doing a little reading and came up with this... which really isn't helping me much..

Is there anything else that I can use to effectively recover data from an initialized drive?

3. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Well, no one seemed to want to help :p

No worries. I pretty much figured it out. I tried VirtualLab Data Recovery and it found everything that was lost on my initialized drive.

Only problem is that they want to charge me $375 to recover around 56gigs of data.

I widdled it down to 20 something gigs of stuff that I really really need, which is still nearly $170. Guess I gotta pay it.. but yeah.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm sorry, fowler., that no one posted any assistance. I would have, but I simply didn't have any advice to give. Still, the price they charge seems reasonable for the value of the data you'll get recovered.

5. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Heh, it's not a big deal. It was a learning experience. I walked away with some pretty good stuff I think.

And yeah, considering the price that people charge for recovery, this is a steal.. but it's still $160 that I don't want to spend :(

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have always had good luck with Data Recovery X. But I have an external FW drive to dump to, so I can rebuild structure.

Virtualab in my experience was VERY slow, and took forever to recover to my local drive.

But it may be a good idea to spend that 170 on an external fw drive.