Data Transfer from Desktop to Laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by KaitlynT, Sep 6, 2002.

1. KaitlynT macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI

I have a hypothetical question: If I wished to transfer data (programs, font folios, etc) from a G4 desktop to a TiBook, what's the best method? Can I hook them together with a firewire cable and "drag and copy"? How does that work exactly, anyway?

Or is there a better method? The G4 does not have a CD burner, so that's out.

I'd appreciate all your expertise! Thanks ahead of time!

2. rebscb macrumors member

Sep 6, 2002
    you can use target firewire mode to transfer files... directions are in your owner manuals.

first, make sure that both computers are connected via a firewire cable...

in short, shut down the power book: restart it while holding down the "t" key which will result in the firewir icon floating around the screen on the powerbook. You will see the powerbook as an icon on your tower display.

You can now drag and drop at will....
  3. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Target Disk Mode

You need to use the Firewire "Target Disk Mode". To do this, hook the computers together with a Firewire cable and start or restart one of them (preferably the PowerBook) with the "T" key held down. The screen on the PowerBook will show a bouncing Firewire icon and it's hard drive will show up as a firewire disk on the G4. Then you can just drag and drop the files you want to copy.

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    Also enthernet

If you have lots of small or medium size files that you want copied, then TDM is the way to go. But if you have big files, use an ethernet crossover cable. It's better at transferring large amounts out data when they're in the same file, but horrible at tons of small files. Also, FireWire is good for transferring lots of small files, but bad at the big ones.
  5. szark macrumors 68030

May 14, 2002
    Re: Also ethernet

Actually, with a TiBook you shouldn't need a crossover cable, just a regular cable -- the network card automatically flips the signals when connected directly to a desktop. (Gotta try that someday...)