Database in iWork? SQL? FileMaker?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by MacVault, Apr 3, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

I don't see how iWork can really be complete without a Database. I mean, geez... Keynote and Pages... how much iwork can I do with that? A database would really help. I would love to see Apple come up with a standards-based SQL database with the power for enterprise AND the ease of use of FileMaker.

What are the odds of this happening?

2. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Mac OS X 10.4 has a built in database engine - SQLite. I think it's only a matter of either time or Apple not wanting to stomp on FileMaker's territory (since Apple owns, or at least used to own, the company that makes FileMaker).

3. macrumors G4

Apple owns FileMaker. Apple also bundles OpenBase with the MacOS X Developer Tools.

4. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

However -- a SQL database back end (of whatever form) is miles away from an easy user interface for the Macintosh user set -- a la iPhoto and iWork

The success of Filemaker isn't that it's the most powerful database in the world, it's that unskilled users can get real results out of it within minutes of getting started.

5. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

About one in 100, at least as an element of iWork. I'd guess that a "lite" version of FileMaker is more likely, but still long odds.