Date and Time startup error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shagadelic45200, Mar 26, 2007.

1. shagadelic45200 macrumors newbie

whenever i start my powerbook (OSX tiger) i get a pop up error (along the lines of:) warning, your date and time are set to before march 1, 2001...some programs might not work properly.......

I have gone into preferences-date and time....and it is all set correctly to the correct date and time (todays: march 26 2007)

but this error keeps popping up everytime i start my mac?????

any ideas?

Thanks,

I am a MAC dummy/newbie, having jsut bought my first mac this week....so bear with me

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In many Macs, there is a separate battery that stores data like the date and time while the machine is turned of. If this battery is dead, your Mac will forget the time each time you shut it down. (If your Mac is always or usually connected to the internet, you can enable the option to set the time automatically in System Preferences...that will help it automatically resolve the problem after startup.

But to really solve the problem, you'd need to have that battery replaced. Here is Apple's page showing which batteries are used in which machines. The batteries themselves are fairly cheap, but the actual swapping of the battery isn't really a do-it-yourself project unless you're comfortable taking computers apart, so paying someone else to do it can cost you a fair bit. But if you do choose to try it yourself, iFixit has good guides to help you.