"Date Modified" order in Spotlight?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Coffeeguy, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Coffeeguy macrumors newbie

transplanted from New Orleans to Boston area
    Is there any way to get Spotlight to order results by date modified? Spotlight prefs doesn't seem to have anything that helps.

Also, is there any way to modify the default screen so that name is the preference instead of kind? Since I search more commonly by name, that would be really useful for me.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know what you mean in the second bit, but are you clicking on Show More in the Spotlight Menu when you're trying to sort by date? :)

3. Coffeeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

transplanted from New Orleans to Boston area
    I know that it is possible, through the various choices and info buttons to get the dates, but that is slow and cumbersome when all you want is a quick list of results to order by date modified. I was thinking how much simpler the old OS 9 command F find was. The results window allowed you to select the 'last modified' column, or any other column, to reorder the results that way. Quick and convenient. There doesn't seem to be any simple way to do a quick search like that in OSX. Perhaps Leopard will offer more options.

By default window I was referring to the command F window—sorry for the confusion. To search by name you seem to have to select by name from the menu first. Is there a way to make 'name' the default insead of 'kind'?

4. CoreWeb macrumors 6502

If you open up the spotlight window, you can choose "flat list" under group by, and they won't be listed by type. You can also order by date easily enough "Sort Within Group By" and choose Date.

But without opening up the spotlight window ("Show All (#)"), there doesn't seem to be a way.