Dates on mails in Mail.app (IMAP)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lonepilgrim, Apr 2, 2007.

1. lonepilgrim macrumors regular

The other day Mail.app went crazy and kept crashing. When it came back up, it wouldn't display any of the mail in my folders. I rebuilt all of the folders. This worked, but for some reason it date-stamped a load of my sent mails with the current date and time.

My account is with .Mac -- and when I log in to my webmail, all the dates on those particular messages are original and correct. So the actual messages on the IMAP server are ok.

Any idea how to fix this inside Mail.app?

Thanks in advance for help.

2. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I'm not sure if .Mac is the same as my school's server or not, but I have run into a similar problem. I found it to be an issue with the way IMAP works. I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is that IMAP simply reads the messages from the server, whereas POP3 actually downloads the messages. I found IMAP annoying because it would be relatively slow to read my email. What ended up fixing my issue was creating my Mail.app account as a POP account and then disabling the option to remove the message from the server in the Preferences>Accounts>Advanced tab. That way you can still access your web mail when you're not at your own computer, and you gain the advantages of POP. Also, with POP, you sort of have 2 copies of your email so you can save all the emails you want on your home computer if there is a storage cap (50 MB in my case :mad: ).

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

I find that any email I send through the web .mac interface gets timestamped with the date and time when I then next open Mail on either my iMac or Laptop.

Like this, the same email can end up having three different sent times, with the web interface being the only correct one. I've not managed to find a way of correcting it though.

4. lonepilgrim thread starter macrumors regular

This has never happened to me until now...

Anyone else have any thoughts?

5. lonepilgrim thread starter macrumors regular

Bump:-

I can't believe this has never happened to anyone else. Help, please!!