Dating Advice for Injured Man

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thewhitehart, Jan 6, 2007.

1. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I need some advice, fast! I have a first date with a girl I haven't met in person yet on Sunday night. I really like this girl (found her on eharmony), and she's eager to meet me, but there's one problem...

On New Year's Eve, I was very unfortunate to get into a verbal argument with a stranger. I'm never one to initiate physical violence, so I was quite surprised when some cowardly friend of this person decided to crack a bottle over my forehead after approaching me from behind. Needless to say, I was walked to the hospital and received several stitches and suture tapes. I lost a lot of blood, but I didn't lose consciousness or get hit in the eye or nose, so I'm very lucky. I'll post a photo when I get home from work.

I haven't told her that this happened, and the doctor told me to keep the stitches in until Tuesday. Should I just go on the date and tell her when I get there? I don't want to freak her out, though, and I won't exactly look 'polished' in the sort of attractive light a woman might expect. Then again, I don't want her to think I'm canceling the date with what sounds like a made up excuse - I've heard plenty of them myself, and this definitely seems like one of them, although it's true. :(

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'd say go for it. Go on the date and explain when your there. These things happen and at the end of the day, the stitches are only temporary while it heals.

TBH I'd be surprised if a woman was put off by this, and from a personal point of view if she was, it would not be someone I'd want to be with.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah man, that's an awesome ice-breaking story. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck and have fun. :)

4. n8236 macrumors 65816

Glad you're ok.

As for your situation, it really depends how you want to play it. If you're the type who can play off this incident and use it for a laugh, then go ahead w/ the date. If using the incident correctly, not only will she laugh along with you, but also know you're a man of confidence.

It's obvious she'll ask you what happened, so be slick about it and roll w/ the punches. I'm sure she won't judge your character by a bandage over your head. And if she does, she ain't worth it.:)

5. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Thanks. I thought it would be a good story too! I realized I had the picture in gmail, here I am:

Attached Files:

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I'd still go for it. The incident will be a good conversation starter. :D

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Tell her in advance, don't let her see you first and gasp, that wont be a good first impression.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'd tell her ahead of time and ask if it's ok to keep the date even though your face isn't looking its best.

11. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Good advice, honesty up front can only benefit you later. Give her all the information and let her decide.

You don't want to go in there looking like an axe murderer or mental patient without some type of explanation up front. :D

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Or wear a paper bag. :p

...I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D ...No hard-feelings I hope. :)

I agree with Dr. Q - warn her ahead of time, but don't cancel (unless she wants to).

13. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head (or bottle, rather :D ). I should definitely tell her first on the phone rather than shock her and make her think I'm a 'goodfella' instead of a 'good fellah'.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If she's the type who would say no to that question on the phone, you can probably do without her anyway, and you'll save yourself a date you probably won't enjoy.

Please post Monday and tell us whether or not it turned out to be a problem.

15. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd take it as a godsend! You're in a perfect situation...

If she wants to stay with you, then you know she's genuine. She won't be staying with you just because of looks or whatever...

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Possibly tell her beforehand. I know if I went on a date and he showed up with a bandage on my head I would have rather him have told me before hand. I really wouldn't care too much either way, though. So do whatever you want. :)

e

17. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Let me tell you how it could go down.

You could go on the date, which would be fine (just make sure you have that thing VERY cleaned up. If you're still lookin like you do in that pic then forget about it.) If you do take this route just make sure to let her know a day or so before the date. "Hey whats up? So guess what?..." More than likely she'll be like "Oh if you don't want to go out I can totally understand", after which the reply would be totally up to you. (Note: you could also play it off like it's made your life a bit more difficult and be like "I'd rather just take it easy. Tell you what let's make dinner and watch/catch a movie".) Either way, you get badass points in her eyes and she'll might want to even mother you (subconsciously) a little. Good luck either way man!

And remember dude, if she's turned off by any of this, then she is not worth your time. End of story. NEXT!

18. Quboid macrumors 6502

Tell her before. Make sure she knows, thats not a very plesant surprise.
    Plus she will feel betrayed. women get like that. So let her know and be smooth about it.

If you can't clean it up nicely cancell the date and sound very, very sorry about it. Beg for forgiveness, but act fast. Last minute stuff sucks.

19. BigPrince macrumors 68020

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How does that work? :confused: ;)

21. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Well, it is polite to inform somebody of your desire to injure them before you inflict said injury.

I think.

:confused:

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I believe that this is the best course of action.

Let her know that you had an incident and what happened. Tell her you still really want to meet her, but didn't want to freak her out when she saw you for the first time.

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If she's a good sport, she'll show up with her own head in bandages to put you at ease!

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The OP's actually really lucky because this will be a good character test. :)

25. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

wouldn't you like to know? ;)

e