dating

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 10, 2002.

?

lovelife

1. i have or have had one girlfriend/boyfriend

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. i have had more than one girlfriend/boyfriend

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  3. i am married or have been married once

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. i am married or have been married more than once

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

how many girlfriends, boyfriends, wives, and husbands do you have, or have had?

2. djwoolf macrumors member

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i am making a database to send to the aliens so they can get artistic ideas for the next quarter's crop circle proposals:p :D :eek:

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm with my second girlfriend, and she will most likely be my last.

We'll get engaged one of these days. :)

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

good luck with that one! ;)

I've had 3 long-term girlfriends in the past 8 years...I am single now...have a few prospects...but am not dating anyone currently... :D

just how many of these new threads did u create jef??

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thanks...I think.

We've been together for nearly 5 years, we've just put off engagement/marriage because of school. We've also been living together for about 3 years now...so we've definitely seen each other's bad side. We're still together, so something must be working.:)

I feel like an ass for not proposing already.:rolleyes:

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I wouldn't rush it if u are close to finishing school...finish school...I think too many people rush into things before they get their lives in order first...

if it's meant to be it will be... ;)

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'm single too, but I'm certainly not mingling with you! :eek: :eek: :D :p

Yeah, I tried the relationship game and got burnt big time, so I think I'll stay away for awhile.

Little bit of advice: Be honest, always! Don't lie to your partner. If you don't have trust, you don't have jack. :rolleyes:

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, we both just got our Bachelor's this May. I'm in grad school, and she's waiting to see if she gets accepted. We're looking at another 2-3 years of school right now.

Hell, if we wait much longer we'll be married under common law!:eek:

10. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

ok ok oh well, i just thought id try, damn ;) oh well, ill try another tactic.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he he...u are right...

2-3 years can seem like a while...but it'll go by quicker than expected...

u can also figure it this way...once u are out of school...u can possibly have a nicer ceremony & not worry if your honeymoon will conflict with any classes or tests... ;)

12. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's funny because we've already discussed what kind of ceremony we want, and where. We want to go to Hawai'i and have a traditional Hawaiian ceremony (think iDVD commercial) with only our immediate familiy in attendance. Then we'll come back to the mainland after our honeymoon for a reception in CA with family and friends.

14. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

grad school is a huge commitment so i agree it's best to wait...just keeping up in class is hard since most grad classes are full with people who are A students and most remember being the best students in their undergraduate classes

and the thesis is the hard thing that takes time away from friends and family...though it seems like forever, you will finish one day and it will all be behind you

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

No thesis for me...I get to do comps. Whether that's good or bad, depends on who you ask.;)

I'm working full-time as I take classes, 6 units (2 classes) a semester and 40hrs a week + consulting keeps me pretty busy (yes, I'm an overachiever, I know).

16. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

take it easy and have fun with school...after this, it's all M-F and laundry on weekends for the next forty or fifty years:p

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm definitely going to enjoy the program (Educational Technology).

I hope I don't get stuck in the 40hr grind, but I know that's a possibility. Hopefully I'll have the freedom to telecommute and/or work part-time once we and the wife-to-be get going in steady jobs.

18. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

my mom now works from home as a telephone interpreter since the company she worked for couldn't afford the department and sold it off to another company and that company couldn't afford the rent for a corporate building...so in the end, everybody were given manuals and sent home to work from there

with the recession, skyrocketing building rents for commercial property, and improving high technology...makes tomorrow's workers working from home more than working at some location in a building

this will be better for everyone involved so both parents can be home with the kids and the corporate savings of not worrying about rent and insurance will give them some leaway to increase wages and salaries of home based employees

it would seem that some companies would need to operate at a large rented building, but there is a fairly large educaional publisher that now is virtual with it's headquarters being a website and all its writers and graphic designers working from home with their macs...they make children's books and testing materials and as it turned out, most of the graphics people already had their own macs at home anyway

one of my clients has her master's in an educational realted subject and she works with home schooled kids...she leaves the assignments on the front door and they return yesterday's work back in the same manila envelope...she gets to spend a lot of time at home often sunbathing herself and she makes great money to boot...only two days a week does she have to go back to the school district offices to do the necessary paperwork and go to various meetings with other teachers and administrative types

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

now that sounds like it would be a very cool wedding! :D

20. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok,

The concept of girlfriend have been changing trhu the years for me. When I was a kid a girl friend was something that lasted at list two weeks or a months, now should be at list six months or more.
    Let me remember:

1. Grace (I was 14)
    -Nani (I was 15)
    -??? (I don't remember her name)*
    2. Maria Isabel (I was 17)
    3. Steffi (I was 18)
    4. Laly (I was 21)
    5. Maria Alejandra (I was 22)
    -Sarah* (I was 23)
    6. Ishelle (actual, I was 24)
    -Lauri* (I was 26)

*Could be for one week or more or one night stand (cheatting).

I guess that is about it. I had some other kissing stuff thet I may not remember but these are the most relevant ones.

21. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

list them??

wow, that's detailed...here is my list i can remember

grade 11 - kate* (not real name) (1981)
    grade 12 and year 1 of college - kathy (82-83)
    year 5 of college - scarlett (married from 87-90)
    late 20s/early 30s - laura (93-95) kathy again (96)
    early 30s to present - mary (married 97-present)

kate* (because she looks like kate bekingsale) was my first girlfriend for just months in junior year (1981) and after she graduated from high school, she came down with schizophrenia and i didn't find out until many years later

kathy was my fiancee in 1982 and again in 1996, but it never worked out...she is a career woman and has one daughter from previous boyfriend...i met her in a pc class and to my knowledge, she still uses pcs

scarlett and i were married three years (87-90) and now she is remarried and lives two doors down from my hobby boat studio i work at one day a week

laura recently got married and i am happy for her...she is a teacher and taught my how to use the mac (93)

mary is my wife and she is a graphic designer and the proud owner of the ibook i am typing on

over the years since 1980, i have had so many chances at having other girlfriends but i was either too shy or the feeling was platonic and some of those were great relationships...some of the popluar guys at my high school had a girlfriend every semester and 10 or 20 girlfirends and maybe a wife or two) throughout their 20s

i am mostly a quiet nerd/geek so i will not rack up 1,000 women in my lifetime like some of you mac studs

:p

22. awrc macrumors regular

Married in 1993 to a woman I initially met over the Internet (yes, yes, terminal geek, I know). Started out fine, but her view of compromise in marriage turned into "I'm being flexible in tolerating all your faults until you fix them" and she started finding new faults whenever I "corrected" the old ones. She walked out in 1997 (insisted it was just because she didn't want to be married any longer, but there's circumstantial evidence suggests she was cheating on me and that this was just a cover story to get a no-fault divorce). Divorced in early 1998.

After that you'd think I'd have gone into a monastery or become a eunuch or something. I had a period of singleness, which I rather enjoyed - as did my employer, since I was in the office 9am-11pm Mon-Fri and 10am-11pm Sat-Sun (laundry on Saturdays, an extra hour in bed on Sundays, groceries were done at a 24hr Safeway on the way home from work on Tuesdays).

However, once the divorce became final I decided the state wasn't big enough for my ex and me, and moved to Milwaukee, where I had quite a few friends (all of whom I knew from the Internet - yes, yes, I know). Moved into the spare room of one (who was female) while I looked for a place of my own, got a new job through some other friends. Eventually I kinda stopped looking for my own place and my by-now-girlfriend and I moved to a new apartment together. Got engaged in late 1999, married in summer of 2000, we're still very happy and she shows no signs of turning evil like my first wife did.

Stlll, all things considered, I'm rather soured on relationships in general. I got very lucky second time around - but I *thought* I'd made the right choice first time around, right up to the day she stabbed me in the back. My current wife (oh, how she hates that term) is incredibly unlikely to do that unless I did something even worse to her first, but I still view the whole thing as a game of Russian Roulette where most of the chambers are loaded.

Why, yes, I am bitter.

23. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmmmm...real gfs...like 3 (2 this summer ;))
    stupid net gfs...god who knows how many :p lol
    right now my current gf is a lil too mature for me, even tho shes younger than me by a year, i wish she liked to joke around from time to time n such instead of being serious all the time lol, n she needs to be more laid back since shes still young lol

my ex, i was totally in love with her, we were like a perfect couple n such, then a bad part of our relationship occured n a few days later we broke up...n that was only a month ago...felt longer

ex ex: bahhhhhhhhhhhh i dont want to even think bout it bahhhh

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

same here....

i'm just waiting for her to ask me..... ha!