Datsun 280Z

Discussion in 'Community' started by oldschool, Apr 11, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

For the past two years, everyday on his way home from work, my dad drives past a past a silver 1978 Datsun 280Z.

About six months ago the car disappeared from where it was usually parked and my dad just assumed it had been sold. Two days ago however it reappeared and my dad stopped to look at it. The owner was there and coincidentally he was just about to list it in the paper.

The car is amazing. It has 60 000 ORIGINAL kilometers, no rust, original paint, totally aligned body panels, the works. The seller is asking $10 000 CANADIAN dollars for it. We looked around and most 1978 Z cars are going for that price or higher, and all of them are in worse shape than this one.

Tomorrow we are going to go make a deal on it.

Any thoughts? Are any of you datsun owners? past or present?

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i owned two very different datsuns...a simple 1974 4 cyl datsun 610 which was underpowered but reliable

i also had a decked out 1984 nissan maxima sw and it rode very differently and had lots of power...but it had too many bells and whistles and it was a lot to keep up

i have reverted to a very simple car again, old volvo, and i much prefer it since very little can go wrong with it...no power windows, no sunroof, no talking computer, etc

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'd say go for it, as it's a classic car that seems to be in great shap. However, the downside to a car like that, is it can likely become a project car with small things to constantly replace. Older cars, even if in excellent condition, tend to leave a lot of minor repairs to handle.

4. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I owned a very used '79 280zx, 5speed, inline 6 cyl. It had 128k mostly hard miles on it. The window cranks were broken and it used an ungodly amount of fuel but i loved it. I always thought of it as a poor man's corvette.

We would have restored it had it not been hit in a parking lot one day. It was the final straw in a long journey for that car and we sold it very cheap to a family member. I no longer had the time or money to do the right thing for the car and we could no longer justify keeping it around.

If i was your dad i'd buy it in a second, it sounds like its in great shape and these cars are so much fun. I'd haggle on the price for sure but don't throw away the deal over it.

5. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I'm not a datsun owner, but I do own a 1990 Nissan 300ZX (same family). Two of my uncles owned a few different 280z's and they were great. They are wonderful cars and are worth every penny.

Good luck with it!

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Good luck with your purchase oldschool. Datsun 280Z, nice looking. It would seem that purchasing an older is a great novelty. Also a good idea to be handy at fixing cars.