Dave Matthews Band on iTunes vs Napster

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skwoytek, Apr 24, 2005.

1. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

It looks like iTunes is finally getting music from Dave Matthews Band. I mention this because I know Napster has had DMB since July 15, 2004. Does anyone have any background info on why DMB or any bands for that matter have decided to distribute through Napster instead of iTunes or both? Where are bands like Radiohead? I read a recent article about Steve Jobs upsetting the record labels because he controls too much of the pricing.

What about the rumors here at MacRumors about an iTunes Subscription service. When I ignore Napster's silly advertising campaign and compare their service more to something like Netflix - I can definitely see some benefit to "renting" songs I don't want to own and listening to the entire song before I buy, even with no/limited DRM. I would subscribe to iTunes.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The Idea of Renting music escapes me, but that is just me.

I am not sure why DMB is not fully on iTunes, one of my favorite bands since their CD "Remember 2 things" came out way back when!

I still don't have any newer CD from them since "Live at Redrocks" I have all of the older CD's at this time though.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have no idea why, but i love DMB, although i'm not crazy about their new song....