David Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy move

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Jan 11, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

- BBC

£128 million for five years work! :eek:

£128 million for a player who passed his best three/four seasons ago! :eek:

£128 million. Mrs Beckham is going to be a busy shopper. ;)

2. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Makes we wanna vom. Jealousy? Not really: I'm not married to Mrs B.

3. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Where have I heard that name before?... Wait a second, isnt he married to one of the Spice Girls? Just getting rich off his wifes popularity.:rolleyes:

I mean really, if he wasnt "Mr. Spice" would anyone even let him near a soccer field?

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Is that sarcasm or naivety?

Regarding £128m for five years he earns about £8m a year in wages from Real Madrid and LOADS more than that in marketing his mug etc.

5. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I forgot about that. I assume the contract will include his 'Image Rights', plus all of his marketing contracts with Adidas, Gillette and whoever else.

Rodeo Drive wont know whats hit it after the Beckham's have finished! :D

6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

7. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

So much for "I want to play for England again!" Career suicide. Ah well, he was a has-been anyway.

Money talks.

At the end of the day he can't be going there for the quality of the football.

Just had a funny thought, his agent signed him up for a football team in the US not realising the difference between "football" and "soccer". Imagine Beckham in all the padding be kicked and stamped on!

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

In the US the MLS have a big say on player transfers. My bet is they have padded his contract. Having him over there will raise the profile of the game in the US which can only be a good thing. Good luck to the Beckhams and congrats on the extra pocket money.

9. tringo macrumors regular

hahaha, that would be hilarious indeed.

This just illustrates how much of a joke the MLS is. A 32 yr old getting a 5 year contract at $40m a year. Whoever the team owner is must be losing his mind.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I, for one, welcome our new tea-sipping, paella eating, actor wannabe-ing overlords.

I guess we can't blame you Brits, we did strike first by sending that top-notch acting talent Madonna other there. Sorry 'bout that.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Its ok. You are getting two of them and 3 kids.

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Luckily they'll just blend in with the rest. I'm guessing after a month, they'll be ranking well below Bennifer II in terms of press coverage. As great as he was, they'll be no higher than C-List celebrities in this town.

13. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Small fish in a big pond, he wont like that (socially, not in football terms)

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's not just a "transfer". I'm sure MLS see this as a strategic brand-building move, since Beckham is a brand of sorts himself.

I'm sure this will garner at least some international attention to MLS. I'd like to see the MLS eventually become a credible top-flight league. It will never be as good as the Premier League, Serie A or the Bundesliga, but maybe it will someday equal some of the other, smallerr European leagues. One thing MLS does have to offer is money. And money can mean a lot.

I think that US Soccer Federation places emphasis on the MLS over the national team (shame!), so whenever the MLS gets more competitive it will improve our national team as well.

On the other hand, maybe the MLS will become a retirement home for old European stars. :rolleyes:

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Imagine having photographers hiding in your bushes in the UK and Spain. Then moving to the US where you are hardly known. I think he is gonna love it. He is a private person after all.

16. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

You mean it isnt already? :eek:

17. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

True, maybe his wife wont like it then! :p

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Probably not. She will be hanging with Mr Cruise for popularity stakes.

19. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

We might have to put up with being a retirement league for a generation just to build the MLS up some more. As long as we only take a small number of old coots that have name recognition over here, then I'm cool with it.

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

He says he's played for two of the biggest clubs in football – Real Madrid and Preston North End, I assume? :confused:

21. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

What must someone like Tom Finney be thinking? One of the most complete players of all time being paid very little and playing for the same club all of his career. Now Beckham who is anything but a complete player (can't tackle, head the ball, use his left foot...) earn £500,000 a week! Don't they know people are dying of starvation in this world! Sorry but it really really pisses me off :mad:

22. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

No its Man Utd you silly.

Man Utd and Preston NE.

23. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

In U.S. dollars, £128 million is almost $250 million!! For only 5 years! The Texas Rangers are still paying part of Alex Rodriguez' 10-year $250 million contract, even though he got traded to the Yankees.

Definitely.

24. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

They also sent us Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, The Weakest Link, and American Idol. I'd say they still owe us. :p

25. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

lol £128 million for a has been... I don't like the man, but David Beckham has it sussed. Earn all that to play out the last few years of his career in a (Sorry, but its true... and you know it) piss poor league but in America. Good move for him.