David Blaine - could this be the final straw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Sep 8, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    Ok, so three days ago david blaine stepped into a perspex box (2mx2mx1m) and had it suspended from Tower Bridge, London. He's planning on staying there for 44 days with nothing to eat, and just a water and glucose mixture to survive on. He has a funnel to pee out of and a hatch to poo out of, no-one for company but himself and his diary.

What's the point? What's going to be the outcome?

The man freaks me out - there's something inherantly evil about him if you ask me.

What's your take on the situation?

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Re: David Blaine - could this be the final straw?

I wouldn't say evil. Maybe starved for attention?
  3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I go past him most days on the train in to Charing Cross, he did a stunt on the London Eye last week, stood on a capsule and walked a revolution of the wheel on the outside, but he was tethered by his ankle...

I saw him interviewed where it seemed as though he cut a chunk of his ear off, but he's still got both ears now, so that was an illusion, and so is this box stunt, he's carrying about 4 extra stone in weight, and never appears without a jacket on to hide it.

This isn't dangerous, it's just boring self publicity, sure he'll lose some weight and might get a bit deranged, but so what?

I'd be impressed if it was a blacked-out box:D

The boy's a fool.
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    David who?

Haven't even heard about this in the States - it is quite silly.

So what does he do when he's not 'performing'? And were does he get the money to pull off this type of crap?

5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    David is quite a thrill seeker. He thoroughly researches all of his stunts. I'm sure that the attention is a strong drive in him. He seems to like to see just how far the human body push, the limit of endurance. I wish him well on his latest test.

Tried to see a live video, but you have to have Speed Pass Europe via Real Player.

I remember the stunt that he did on ABC, when he buried himself alive in ice!
  6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i find it all a bit overrated. people survive worse stuff than this all the time, and they weren't stupid enough to go looking for it. he's like a gentleman's version of Jackass, and i respect him about that much.

7. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    hmm, hadn't thought of that - good point.
  8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    People have been doing variations of these stunts for hundreds of years. Mr. Blaine is just updating them for a new generation. He's a profession magician. 'Nuff said. :rolleyes:
  9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Never watched ABC, eh?

They had this whole exclusive thing where he was 'frozen' in a block of ice.

Which a person later found that there were '2 David Blaine' Switching off to eat, drink, ect. Never was really answered either way but if you watch the (alot) of tapes you see the black shirt a little the camera switches and then I see it getting smaller, camera switches and then I see 'him' again...

10. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    He seemed kinda cool when he was doing street magic a few years ago. Now it's just publicity stunts. Stupid. Get back to the fun stuff. The "real" stuff. Than maybe people would take him... uh... ok - so maybe 'seriously' is the wrong term.
  11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    It was better when it was done for a good cause and called a hunger strike.
  12. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    I've met David Blaine before, (his kid brother was on my baseball team in 8th grade and he came to a couple games) and I have to say in person, his magic is no less amazing than the "street magic" specials.

His most memorable trick he performed that i witnessed was where he would fan a just opened deck of cards and let someone pick a card. Then he would let them stick it into the deck, snap his fingers, and the card would be on the top of the deck. However, this was no parlor svengali deck trick. the trick was repeated a few times with the same and different cards, then david said "I'm gonna do it real slow for you guys now" He took the choosen card, and bent it half, creasing it, then stuck the card back in the deck. From the side, you could clearly see where the bent card was in the deck, as it pushed up all the cards on top of it. He snapped his fingers, and the bent card immediately appeared on the top of the deck. I still have no clue at all how he did it or many of the other tricks he showed us.
  13. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    I hope you guys wouldn't call Houdini's stunts crap, this guy is a professional magician and a great one at that, he has increased the standards of what people expect from a magician and this latest stunt is no laughing matter. I'd like to see you guys suspend yourself in a box in the air for over 40 days much less without eating.
  14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    He's a magician, and his street stunts for TV were simply cutaways (like the "floating" bit). Frankly it's entartaining, and his "schtick" is a variation on the theme that has survived 100 years. Remember Doug Henning? His kick was "70's-style" long hair and outrageous costumes. David Copperfield? Handsome, mysterious. Blaine? Odd, with a bit-o-the devil. Different deliveries, same product.
    All magicians use publicity stunts. It's their business! You think Houdini waited for people to show up so he could hang upside down in a straight jacket? Hell no. Blaine is entertaining... or not. Watch... or not. Leave it at that.
  15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    David Blaine as a street magician is great! But all these dumb 'stunts' do not impress me one little bit, who cares if he can 'survive' 44 days/nights in a see through box above the Thames FFS!?! It's completely pointless IMO!

...now, if he would do his levitation stunt in the box...that might be another story...;)
  16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I saw this on the news last week...then over the weekend...

publicity stunts...

seems really useless to me...to get your name in the record books by nearly killing yourself...

17. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    what a bishop basher

There was a guy taking pot shots with golf balls (like hit with a golf club) and people chucking eggs at him, his girlfriend was getting quite upset by the local peoples behaviour. I thought the burger van wafting nice smells up to Davey Brain op was a nice touch.

If he wants to starve himself, maybe he could trade places with someone with no choice in the matter.

18. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I remember the southpark episode about him...
  19. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    Remember never to be impressed by a magician's act on television. Hell, I can make myself melt if you let me do it on video. AND I can pay a few fat tourists to gasp in amazement at it. ;)
  20. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    Re: what a bishop basher

Maybe I'll go up there at lunchtime and eat my sandwiches :D
  21. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Personally I don't see what the problem is... if you don't like, you don't have to watch....

His street magic stuff and slight of hand is pretty amazing though.
  22. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    Cut the Chain

He has hoisted himself to rival our national heritage, he is like a spoilt kid standing infront of the television. His publicity machine makes sure that anyone wanting to know anything else about the world has to do it with a double helping of "Captain Stupid" to go with it.

I feel sorry for people who have to drive home along those roads, what are the odds of an accident now that everyother person is driving around looking out of their sunroof? That's if there is enough flowing traffic to build up the energy needed for an accident.

what a wally
  23. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Re: Cut the Chain

I still don't see what the problem is....? you don't have to watch... either via tv or net... you don't have to read about him, you can turn the page, or not click on the link...

People do have a choice...
  24. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    As long as he's not crapping in the Thames....
  25. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    If all he's got is a funnel and a hatch, he probably is. So are those activities exposed to the public as well?

The guy's just bizarre, and if he's going to try and be entertaining, I'd rather he did the magic bit than this kind of no-risk Houdini hack, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I kinda wonder where he gets the money for this stuff as well--probably from the networks that air hour-long specials on the latest stunt.

Reminds me of Johnny Fox at the Rennfair, talking about sword-swallowing: "Sure, it's gross, dangerous, and disgusting. But hey...you'll watch."