David Hicks Pleads Guilty

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

David Hicks pleads guilty in the first trial under the new procedures developed for trying Guantanamo inmates.

Too angry about Gitmo to comment futher at the mo - I think history will paint the Guantanamo Bay prison as the most infamous and shameful act of the Bush Administration...

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's a US Marine (I think) who's very pissed off about how Hicks has been treated. Has been very closely followed down here and it's interesting to hear someone in a US military uniform speak so openly about his opinion of the procedure.

The news this morning was that he'd pleaded guilty in a plea-bargain sort of thing to one charge and not guilty to another. He'll apparently serve his sentence in an Aussie gaol.

ABC News story.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yep, Major Michael Mori. I was very surprised at his opinions as well. At one stage the army were even considering taking him off the case because he was so outspoken about the government's policies.

Hicks also has an Australian lawyer, who I can't remember the name of.

The whole thing is a disgrace, I'm just glad it's finally over (one way or another).

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

6. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My housemate, who is from Sydney, has been watching this develop closely.

Based on all the things I've read about him, he seems more disturbed in mind than anything else. He made some very stupid choices, I dont think he's either the Muslim or militant the US government (or he) thought he was.