David Jones (Australia) now selling Apple Mac's and iPods

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kjwebb, Oct 2, 2003.

1. kjwebb macrumors regular

I recieved today in the junk mail a David Jones catalog that first caught my attention when I saw a sticker telling about where the mac's are in store and where they can be ordered from.

David Jones are claiming that they are the only Department Store in Australia that sells Apple Macs and iPods. As I know of this is true.

The sad part of this story is they only had 1 page that had the outdated iMac 17", iPods and outdated PowerBook 17".. Oh. the problems of printing before a new product is released.

At least Apple hasn't released new iBooks yet otherwise the iBook 14" would be out of date aswell.

Also it's good to see a department store in Australia selling Apple products.

BTW. If your wondering what the David Jones website address is, it is www.davidjones.com.au (Please note that I haven't checked if they are advertising the Apples on the site as they discontinued their online store).

2. iTag macrumors newbie

Now this is a turn for the books when did this happen i havent had the good luck to get such a catalogue yet but ill be looking because if this is right i only have to walk down the road and i can by from the glen shopping center ha ha ha yea right!! great to hear though that theres a large chain taking orders other than next...

i have to go to chadston nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I wonder if they will support the macs and not let them sit in the corner collectiing dust like they did years ago

4. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Good news

Maybe they can sell G5 PowerMacs in their kitchen accessories department.

Seriously, the more visible Macs are, the better chance they have to be sold. Hopefully MYER will follow in DJ's steps and also start selling Macs.

5. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I read that they're using Apple-trained staff this time, so it should be successful. Then it could expand to other DJ's, then onto Harvey Norman and Dick Smith and all that shiznit. One step in the right direction. Especially a Mac Albook by a PC laptop.. They're uncomparable design-wise.

6. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

NOT DSE
    I would never buy a piece of computer from them. Besides, DSE in my local is in the same little area as the apple store - about 50M from it.
    I like the apple store (all but the service dude) and I do not want to see them out of business.

7. MacMarino macrumors member

David Jones Interest Free

Well I think that DJ's is going to attract a whole lot of business with its 12 and 18 month interest free term service. There is no other Apple reseller in Australia at the moment (that i know of) that does this. My brother has been talking about getting a Mac for ages but just couldnt afford to hand in a huge lump sum of money for one of Apples computers and now he has the option to make repayments with no interest... Good for David Jones!

MacMarino:D

8. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

dj's are doing 24 month interest free deals on macs. looks very attractive. sign up, pay the first monthly installment and walk out with a G5. some resellers ain't happy.

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hasn't DJ's been carrying Apple stuff for a couple of months?

well they're only in about 1 or 2 stores in Sydney now, so i'm not surprised if others don't know about it yet. anyone know if they'll be selling to education buyers?

10. B@SS_SHOCK macrumors member

There are already Macs in Perth David Jones. It's pretty dumb, they have a whole desk of PC's and Laptops and Apple products command less then a quarter of that space. All they had was a single cpu G5 connected to 23" Apple Display, a 17" iMac and an iPod connected to a 14" iBook. They were so compacted together you can't really have a go at the products. And Apple trained salesmen? I talked to the only one and he didn't know jack. He kept on calling the Dock the "taskbar"! Even the guy at Bang & Olufsen had better knowledge!

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

what?! even DJ's in Perth has Apple stuff and Bang and Olufsen?!!:eek: i don't think there's anywhere in Bris that specifically stocks B & O merchandise...

"BrisVegas" must really be going down the crapper! :p;) :D

12. PowerBookMan macrumors newbie

For everyones information

Selling Macs from DJ's is a great idea, especially for putting Mac's in front of consumers.

But the story is still the same. If you want a great price, and a company that will look after your service and support, then you will still have to buy from an AppleCentre.

At the end of the day, AppleCentres are cheaper, carry greater ranges of accessories and software, and have Mac people who understand the solutions.

DJ's will never hold stable qualified staff, and the last thing you need, is to buy the computer from a retail kid, who's never around to solve the problems.

I say go AppleCentres!

And, if you want the cheapest price in Sydney, buy:

AppleCentre TaylorSquare - 02 9332 8600

13. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

Re: For everyones information

*COUGH*BlatantMarketing*COUGH*

14. PowerBookMan macrumors newbie

This is not blatent advertising

Its the plain old simple truth. We're the cheapest, we have accreditation with Government, KCP, Education and retail.

We have a gold level service repair centre, and have over 15 full-time staff at one location.

Our focus is our customers and providing the best possible solution at the best price.

15. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i know, i know .....
    I went to them when i was looking but ended up going to wollongong. why? knew somebody and then we had edu discounts on top of that.

but yes, AC Taylor Square is decent.