David Petraeus resigns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Moderator emeritus

Timing seems interesting. Nothing like the head of the CIA to lay himself open to blackmail. Another GOP long shot bites the dust... you'd think these guys could keep their dicks in their pants, country first and family values and all.

Oh well.

2. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oops. As you know, the call of a wild POA is hard to resist.

(edit) Oh, how long before FoxNews tries to suggest that there is a connection between this and Bengazi?

3. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Will he still be required to testify at next week's hearings?

Also, pics or it didn't happen. At least, produce the other party.

4. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Excuse me?

Don't wait until Fox News regurgitates these into tiny minds, only to appear here. Selected posts from FreeRepublic:

Wheels within wheels. Pass the aluminum foil.

5. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Sorry, no offense meant. Just pointing out, as you probably know, that sometimes a wild POA can be difficult to resist. Many of us do every day, but you, as an adult, have to have been tempted at some point in your life.

I meant no disrespect.

6. macrumors 603

They're still talking about this? Don't they realize they already lost the election and their manufactured controversy to try to win over votes didn't work?

These people are PATHETIC. There's not another word for it.

These people need to take a LONG look in the mirror and then take a look at reality.

7. macrumors Core

MacNut

You would think the leader of the CIA would know better. Timing does seem odd tho, why wait until days after the election.

8. macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I agree. The resignation of Obama's CIA head is about the GOP. I'll even go one step farther; this is Bush's fault.

9. macrumors 68000

thewitt

There will be more actions to make everyone who knows what happened in Libya disappear. You can count on it.

You've been fooled.

Most of the people who voted to retain this administration didn't even know we had an organzed September 11th terrorist attack on our embassies around the world.

10. macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

I might be treading into "i want to believe/TIN FOIL POWER HOUR" territory, but there has to be something more to his resignation than just "I slept with another women".

11. macrumors G3

NT1440

Regardless of what Woodward's book says about him, he was a terrible and egotistical general. His surge idea wasn't even his, and it doesn't work, not if the goal is lessening violence and getting out of combat.

12. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm just chuckling over the fact that Broadwell's book is titled "All In".

Yes, I'm 12.

13. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I can't imagine why not. But, current or former head of CIA, either way he would still have to be extremely careful not to reveal anything that might affect current or future operations.

[​IMG]

http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Petraeus-and-Broadwell-e1352506567743.jpg

I doubt seriously this is some kind of political play. According to this article, the FBI was driving the investigation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20276610

The problem might be (pure speculation) that during his background check, before becoming head of the CIA, he was probably asked certain very specific questions. If his answers at the time were not forthcoming, that would be a problem later.

14. macrumors 603

You can't even tell the difference between the actual terrorist attack on the embassy in Benghazi and protests at embassies in Cairo, Yemen, Tunisia, etc for nearly two weeks over the Innocence of Muslims video?

They're two completely separate things.

15. macrumors 6502

So Petraeus did betray us. Or was it just his wife...?

16. macrumors G5

Macman45

Frankly, I've always said that any public figure's private life should not have any bearing on his or her ability to do their job unless of course security issues are involved.

Clinton didn't do too badly now did he?

17. macrumors 65816

juanm

I agree, but this kind of behavior opens the door to potential blackmailing, and he can't risk that, considering his position within the CIA. Too bad, he should have known better, resigning is the right thing to do, now.

18. macrumors G5

Macman45

Yep, and resign is what clinton should have done too...Monica whatshername could easily have been privy to secure information too..And in case people think I'm a roaring Republican, I not. I'm actually a die hard democrat, but what fits for one should fit all...Even at the top.

19. macrumors 6502

fox10078

Oh think of it if clinton resigned. Gore comes in, shows how good he would have been at president and secures reelection in 2000. The world would be a different place, a very very different place.

20. macrumors G5

Macman45

Very true, and probably why he got away with it. A President Gore would not have filled me with any confidence at all, and Clinton was a damn good statesman and diplomat IMO...All the C*** about Tony Blair resolving the Northern Island issue? I think Clinton's efforts counted for more there.

21. macrumors 603

thekev

Once it's out, how would someone really blackmail them?

22. macrumors G3

NT1440

Monica worked in the White House and was already legally bound by the NDA's that accompany such a high level job (even as an intern).

23. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

24. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

You'd think that a president would know better also....Oh wait a minute, Bill Clinton was a democrat, rules are different I guess.

25. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Yeah ... Bill got off scot free.

:rolleyes: