Dawn of War: Gold = awesome!

Discussion in 'Games' started by mikeyPotg, Apr 30, 2006.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Just thought I'd spit this out there for anyone looking for a new RTS game. I'm a HUGE fan of Starcraft & Wc3. I have a MBP, 2.16 ghz, 2 gigs, etc and I've been playing it via Bootcamp with settings on max for the past 3 days and its awesome.

The graphics are amazing and so detailed. it came out roughly a year after Wc3 I think, and I keep telling myself that I wish Wc3 had this type of detail.
    A mech unit would pick a random infantry guy up, spin him around, then toss him. Then he'd punch another few guys and send them about 20 feet in the air.
    A demon would impale someone with his axe, shake them a few times, then toss them 20 feet away. Then grab a guy, squeeze his body over his mouth, drink his blood, and toss him. Then swipe his axe and knock away a few more guys.
    A big orc grabbed a guy, bashed him on the ground a few times then tossed him.

The attention to detail is so amazing. You can rotate the camera and zoom in to get any angle you want. I find myself just sending guys into battle to watch the animations.

The interface is quite similiar to Wc3 while the style of play is unique in its own way. It wasn't too hard for me to pick up on, but theres still a TON I have to get used to. I'm still playing the expansion campaign, but I decided to test out all the races in skirmish mode. I played a quick game online. 2v2, one of them got disconnected early on (must've been dial up on their end) but ended up winning in about 20 mins or so.
    - Unlike Wc3, and just like Starcraft, if someone gets disconnected, their army is destroyed. Sucked for his ally.

The campaign is pretty entertaining. I beat the first game then got a few into the expansion before testing out the races on my own.

Thats all I gotta say too far. Had to take a break from Xp mode since I missed the mac OS, so now that I'm gameless I figured I'd inform anyone interested.

2. aradamas macrumors newbie

aradamas

I have been long wanting to play Dawn of War at home (I've played it on a friend's PC) and now that Bootcamp allows for Windows XP to run natively on an intel-based Mac, I wanted to see if anyone has had any performance issues with DOW on either of the new Mac Minis (1.5GHz Solo or 1.66GHz Dual)? It sounds like you are runing DOW with no problems. Is this correct?

3. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been running it VERY smoothly. Settings on max with basically no choppiness or anything. Had to adjust the resolutions a bit to make the mini map fit perfectly, but its great man.

However, the multiplayer mode just didn't cut it for me. I couldn't get hooked on it nearly the way I got hooked on SC or WC3. I just wish I could play them on 4:3 on my MBP.

4. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I have a PPC, no plans on getting an Intel anytime soon, does this look like it will come out for OS X on PPC?

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Starcraft plays in 4:3 on my machine, but WC3 doesn't. Do you mean that SC is stretched on your display?

6. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry, you're right. I haven't even played sc on my MBP. I got lazy with m response. I meant to say I can't play WC3 on my MBP due to the widescreen and I just can't go back to SC because all the rampant hackers.

Please tell me they fixed that.

7. ninjajoe macrumors newbie

Installation problem

Hi there, I've bought the Dawn of War gold pack, and I've had some problems installing it. I've got a MacBook Pro with 1.83GHz, 496MB of RAM, which should be fine... but when I try and play it comes up with a "Spooge Driver Error" (I'm not kidding) telling me to check if DirectX is installed correctly. Well I checked the DirectX diagnostic, and it says I only have directX 9.0b, even though I supposedly installed 9.0c durung the Dawn of War installation. I re-intsalled DirectX 9.0c again, and the same error came up. I even downloaded the update from the microsoft website, and still no luck. The DirectX installer says that its being installed, but the diagnostic and the game differ, saying I've still got 9.0b. This is bugging the crap out of me, and any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Sorry, but it sounds like a Windows-related problem... It's a MacRumors site after all, even if you install W on Mac...

9. wyrmintheapple macrumors regular

Dawn of War does look good, I was thinking of getting it the other week. I did love Warhammer 40k when I was a kid.

How well do you reckon it'd run on a non pro MacBook?

10. crachoar macrumors 6502a

S.O.L.

You're just jealous.

11. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

It'll run rather nicely actually, speaking my brothers Pentium 3 1.13 GHz with a Radeon 9000 64MB runs it buttersmooth.

12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Seriously, I don't think many people here want to read about Windows driver problems. We're using OS X to get away from that crap...there is a "Windows on the Mac" forum category for exactly this sort of thing; use that and the rest of us won't have to read about "Spooge Driver Errors"....

--Eric

13. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont mind so much. I mean, this is the games forum and sadly, we're forced to play most of our great games on XP mode.
    But sorry I can't help you with that error. I had no problem installing and playing the game for the 2 good weeks I played it. Never once ran into an error.

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No, I'm not. I do not have all those Win problems, so why should I be jealous? :)

15. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Have you seen the new expansion pack that was announced at E3? It adds the Necrons and the Tau! SO COOL!:D :eek:

16. aradamas macrumors newbie

aradamas

I can't wait for this EP as the Necrons have some of the best over-arching story lines to be found in 40K! Not to mention they just look so damn cool! Tau aren't bad either...they feel like an infusion of Anime.

I'm sorry to hear that DoW has given some XP users some problems. I don't think that will stop me from upgrading my old iBook to a Intel-based Mini. I don't need much, it is a hugh space saver, I aready have all the periphials and the price is right. I think DoW will be the only game I play on my Mac. And if I experience any XP problems, well, like most, I've come to expect nothing less from Bill's company over the years!!;)

17. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

Apple released boot camp for Macs to run Windows. If a person wants to ask a question about Windows, they are free to do so.
    Back on topic. I downloaded the WH40k demo, and instantly fell in love. It's faster and more brutal that WC3, and the DoW w/Winter assult is only $29.00.:D

18. Kimi macrumors regular

19. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if you have windows installed via bootcamp.

20. Kimi macrumors regular

How well does it run? Is it playable?

21. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

We'll i'm playing it on a MBP 2.0Ghz 128m, 1G. I've never measured FPS, but it has to be very high. This game came out in 2004, so the system requirements aren't that taxing.

22. Kimi macrumors regular

Why does everyone do this? :rolleyes: MacBook ? MacBook Pro. If I wanted to know if it worked on a MacBook Pro, I would have used the word "Pro" somewhere in the question...