Dawn of War on a MacBook

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kimi, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

I've not been able to find this looking about all the threads. I don't care about any other games, I just want to know about DoW. Does it work on a MacBook?

2. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

If you have Windows installed via bootcamp it works. I'm playing the demo on my MBP. It's a 2 year old game and the specs are not high at all.

3. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

No, not a MacBook Pro; a MacBook. I know it works on a Pro I need to know if it works on a MacBook.

4. batman123 macrumors regular

No-one seems to be answering you are they kimi, they all talk bout their macbook pros dnt they :p it happened in the other thread as well lol...

You should be fine on a macbook though. It says in the technical specifications that...

Pentium III 1.4GHz or equivalent
    2GB Hard Drive Space
    256MB RAM
    Any 32MB DirectX9.0b compatible graphics card
    CD-ROM Speed 4x or faster
    Any 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible soundcard

So as long as you run it in bootcamp you should be perfectly fine :D

What are your macbook specs? RAM etc?

Batman.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

those are near doom 3 level requirements.

it'll probably work but it won't be pretty

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Its more of a resource hog that D3 - I had both "back in the day" for my PC and it ran sluggishly in parts even on my, ahem, overclocked 2.4ghz P4 (running at 3ghz with 1000fsb), 1GB DDR and SATA HDDs.

So I wouldn't hold out much hope for the MacBook. It does have a faster CPU, and faster memory, but the integrated GPU is probably too big a stumbling block.

I'd love to be proved wrong though - great game!

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i haven't run either on my macbook or my pc, i haven't really played too many pc/mac games since i got my 360.

(btw piarco75, i dropped you a friend request i'd love to play some cod2 with you some time, i haven't really touched the multiplayer yet, i just ran through the single player on veteran)

8. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

9. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I can't. I don't have a MacBook. I'm trying to find out is it works without droping the best part of £800 to test it. I'm not stupid enoguh not to download a demo to check it out, I also have to game it's self about two feet away from me. :rolleyes: people thinking everyone has no logic... sheesh :rolleyes:

10. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

If not being able to play WH40k is stopping your purchase, then I see that an not being very logical. Read the tech specs for the game then judge for yourself if the game is "playable".

11. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

MacRumorUser has a MB and does test runs on games for people on this forum, send him a PM, and i'm sure he'd be more than willing to give you a some benchmarks.

12. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

There's got to be a cut off line somewhere. I've got a few games I'd like to be able to play at uni, this is one of them. I'm not going to have access to a PC there, so I've deceided that I'll get an Intel Mac laptop (MacBook or Pro) to compensate.

There has to be a point in the middle somewhere were I pick one or the other. I think it's quite logical to define that point me self, instead of the normal gut feeling. A test that will give a yes or no answer to if I'm to get a MacBook or a MacBook Pro has been set, I'm now trying to find out the answer.

I'll send the guy a request, that might get me an answer.

13. aradamas macrumors newbie

aradamas

Kimi, did you ever get a test run fo DoW on your MacBook? I'm curious myself. Also, you rule! I hate when people do not pay attention to your specific questions. Your responses were cracking me up! :) Reading these threads can get annoying particularly when respondents continue to throw in non-related subjects, ie. another game, another system, another computer and on and on. Keep that attitude sharp and these fools inline!;)

14. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

The line "I don't have a MacBook" still stands as of now, I'm waiting until I get to university so I can order it with the discount they offer via the student network online store anyway.

I still don't know how well it plays. Star Terk Legace has made me go "MacBook Pro wins" now, so I'm getting one of them It'll be about £350 more than getting the MacBook. But I've got that saved away for the summer, so I just won't go shopping for a while.