Day 3...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Today is Day 3 of my "only veggies" diet. Yes, I'm a vegetarian for 1 week, and it hasn't been that bad --- until tonight. :(

Today, while I was eating my salad and vegetarian lasagne, everyone I know had a steak. Yes, steak. The best meat in the world. My friends had slightly red steaks.......the best kind. :( It was difficult to bear. Steak, bbq ribs, and pizza are foods that will always be near the top of my "Favourite Foods" list (yes yes, my favourite food is Korean, but still). There's really nothing better than a good, medium-rare grilled steak. Anyway, I survived it, but barely. I just stared, and couldn't stop staring. :eek:

Yesterday was difficult as well. At lunch, my faculty had a pizza day and bought us all pizza (they do this semi-recently for post-grad students and order around 30 pizzas, Coke, other fizzy drinks, and bottled water), and most of it had meat on it. Yes, it was another food on my favourite foods list, and while it was tough not to eat what I wanted, I could eat the vegetarian pizzas, which I'm more than happy with. I really don't mind vegetarian pizza, lasagne, etc, so it's no big deal not to have meat. Sometimes I even prefer it that way.

However, steak is different. :( There's no vegetarian steak, and even if there was, it'd be tofu or something, which isn't comparable.

Tomorrow I'm minding my food co-ops table for my university's Clubs Day. We sell organic tofu, dried fruits, or organic nuts, etc. Funny how I loves me meat so much, while many other people involved are vegetarian or even vegan. :eek:

Anyway, it's almost 8:30pm, and I'm going out to a bar. The thing about this bar is that they buy around 30 free pizzas for us every 30 minutes or so. :eek: People grab whatever they can and eat it. Sometimes it's meat, and sometimes it's veggie. We just grab whatever we can get. Lets see if I can resist grabbing a meat slice by accident. :( :(

2. Lau Guest

Well, in 4 days you can have a nice pink steak! And it'll taste great when you've been waiting for it.

So, what made you give up meat for a week?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

interesting, mind if i ask why you are going vegetarian for one week?

i wish i could go vegetarian, but i like chicken too much, and thats pretty much the only meat it eat now anyways, besides some pepperoni here and there....

but hey its a testament to your willpower! keep it up. :)

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good luck! ;)

Personally, while I believe that eating more vegetables and less meat is good for you, I could never go cold turkey.

Almost half way there, hang in there! ;)

BTW, what made you do this challenge?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Ah...I had meatballs for lunch just now. Delicious :D

7. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I've gone vegetarian for about... 6 years now...

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Mmmmmmm, a nice fat steak, bloody as hell...

now where's that drooling smiley gone?

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    That was dinner last night. Broke out the grill, lightly seared on the outside.

10. mpw Guest

Same here, I've been trying to eat more veg. and less meat for a little while and been pleasantly surprised at how tasty the veggie options have been so far. But it'll be hard to give up meat completely.

11. Lau Guest

Mmm, cold turkey...:D

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Am I the only one who likes the steak to be thoroughly burnt to a crisp? I want it so charred that I can whack it on the table and it'll snap in two. :cool:

13. Lau Guest

Aussies. :rolleyes:

;) Actually, I'm inclined to agree. I'm coming round to the whole underdone thing more than I used to, but there's something about crispy meat. And I mean that innocently.

14. mpw Guest

You wouldn't have like one of my favorite local restuarants then. 'Ker Francois', Francios was a sterotypical frenchman who would take your order and tut if you asked for medium or well done and slap you on the back if you said very rare.

I've seen him ask people to leave rather than cook their steak any more and every time I went there he'd be having an argumant with at least one customer about their poor choice of wine with a particular dish. He'd simply refuse to allow them to order wine 'A' with main course 'B' and bring them his selection regardless.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

French. :rolleyes:

What is it about the French restauranteurs that makes them so particular? I can't stand meat that hasn't been through a thermo-nuclear reactor twice, or something of similar heat output, for at least a week.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and am i the only one who doesn't like steak at all?

17. Lau Guest

No, I've never seen steak as much of a treat. I'd much rather have a lamp chop or a pork chop than a steak, but I prefer my meat in little bits as a rule.

18. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

aka the steak nazi.

19. sobolobo macrumors member

I used to like mine well done, but these days it's medium-rare. I find it's too dry if it's anything more than that and end up drinking too much to balance it out... :rolleyes:

I could never go vegetarian. Anybody seen that ad promoting red meat with Sam Neill in it? Apparently, if humans never ate meat our brains wouldn't be as big as they are.

20. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Screw you all! Today at the bar there was free pizza. I picked up the "hawaiian" and picked off the ham. :rolleyes:

...says the man who can't even have his steak a tad bit rare. :p

Drunk as ****, but at least my stomach has free pizza. Mmmmm....

Will power, damnit. Will-power!!!! :(

Cold turkey sounds good.....hot turkey sounds better. Just getting over the hump tomorrow. Hope it's better than what I faced today, what with the steak and free pizza. It's hard to get a veggie pizza when it's free. After all, beggars can't be chosers.

Gotta go to bed.

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

and according to the american association of pesticide producers, you'd be healthier if you drank a gallon of pesticide a day and used it with your cereal.

22. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You really don't want to know what the chef is doing to your steak.

Make mine rare. Rare as rare.

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As long as he doesn't use his own juices, he can do what he wants to it.

25. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

isnt this like the pot calling the kettle black?!? :eek: :p

Ed