Daz/Poser/Bryce on Intel Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by moselystone, May 18, 2006.

1. moselystone macrumors newbie

May 18, 2006
    I'm looking to upgrade my aging 233mhz iMac it a new swanky
    Intel one. My only reasons for holding back are the software mentioned. Does anybody run these programes at the moment on the new intels? If so how well do they run. I'm assured by e-frotier that Poser 6 will run.
  2. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    On an island in Maine
    I'm actually in a similar boat except I use Vue instead of Bryce. If what you are asking is if they are Universal Binary, then I'm pretty sure that none of them are and they probably won't be until the next major release. Little companies like E-frontier and E-on Software and DAZ (though DAZ appears to be rapidly growing with their recent acquisition of Carrara and Hexagon) don't have the resources of other companies to whip out the Universal Binaries (though the biggest companies Adobe and Microsoft seem to be dragging their feet).

As to whether they will work, from what I have heard, Rosetta works but is slow. For rendering applications any slowdown is not acceptable, but anything will be better for rendering than a 233 mhz iMac (except maybe a beige G3). With that in mind, I'd say go for it and just be ready to buy the updgrade to Poser 7 when it comes out. Just remember to jack the RAM on any computer used for rendering, purchasing more RAM will shave hours of of render times.

As for Bryce, now that DAZ owns it, it may be finally updated, but for the last few years it's been in software limbo (jumping from company to company). I would strongly recommend Vue. I use it for all of my rendering (Poser figures included) and it is just an incredible program.
  3. moselystone thread starter macrumors newbie

May 18, 2006
    Many thanks for your input. On your views about Vue, I've looked at it so many times so maybe when I upgrade I may make that a purchase along with the new mac.