DCHP+Linksys router

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Karic, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Karic macrumors newbie

I have a small network from home. A G4 Quick Silver running on OS 9.2.2 and OS X and a Beige G3 running on 9.2.2. Both my computers run straight from the cable modem unit with ethernet cable.
    I have a linksys router (10/100 4 port) and I am having trouble with my G3 connection.

My router setings are:
    Setup
    host: blank
    Domain : blank
    Lan IP address: 192.168.1.1
    Sub:255.255.255.0
    WAN connection: obtain an IP automatically
    DHCP
    Server: enable
    Starting IP add.: 192.168.1.100
    Number of DHCP: 50
    DNS 1: 0.0.0.0
    DNS 2: 0.0.0.0
    DNS 3: 0.0.0.0
    Wins: 0.0.0.0

The TCP/IP settings on the G4 are as follows:
    Connect via: Ethernet
    Configure: using DHCP server
    Client ID: videotron.ca
    IP address: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1
    Name server add.: 24.200.243.234
    Search domains: videotron.ca

As for my settings on the beige G3, I tried many different things but seem to get nowhere. When I try to put the TCP/IP setting on 'using DHCP server' all other fields are 'supplied by server'. I then shutdown my G3, unplug the modem, replug the modem, restart the G3 and I still get no connection.
    I then tried the manual settings in TCP/IP, using the same settings as the G4 (above) and changing the IP address to 192.168.1.101 and still I get no connection.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Eric

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

you may have already tried this

I had the exact same setup before I got the airport and I was having the same trouble. I just started out with no IP address in the TCP/IP settings and I ended up with '1.1.1.1' for CPU A and '1.1.1.2' for CPU B and it started working. I think the 192.168.1.100 is usually used by the modem itself or other network equipment so I'd stay away from similar IP addresses.
    Obviously I'm not a network expert but I found that a little tinkering goes a long way... Good luck

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: DCHP+Linksys router

When you say "no connection" do you mean no connection at all, or do you mean no connection to the net?

I supposed what I'm asking is if the G3 is getting an IP address from the Linksys. Check by connecting the G3 to the Linksys and going to the TCP/IP control panel with the IP allocation set to DHCP. If there is an IP address there, this is probably an issue with your ISP requiring you to enter the name server. If this is the case, you can enter the name server IP that you have in your G4 config into the Linksys (go to the "DHCP" tab and enter it into the "DNS 1" box).

If you're getting no IP address from the Linksys, then you should first check if there is a physical link between the G3 and the Linksys by checking the link light on the Linksys.

4. Karic thread starter macrumors newbie

no connection

I didn't notice before, but there are no green lights on the router for the port used for the G3 (in this case, port 1). What can I do to repair this? Could this be faulty cables? Although the cables work fine when connected straight to the cable modem.

5. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Move the G3 connection to the port where the G4 works and see if you get the same results. You know that ports works, so start from there. To test the cables out, swap the one from the G4 to the G3 and vice versa. See if the problem follows the port or cables. To test connectivity, ping the default gateway, which is 192.168.1.1

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Re: DCHP+Linksys router

I'm no expert on networking, but your description sounds odd. How are you getting your computers connecting straight from the cable modem? Generally a cable modem has only one ethernet out jack. To hook up two computers you need cable modem-->router/switch-->computers. Is that what you have?

Also, is it possible that one of your cables is a cross-over cable, or that you have a regular cable connected to the uplink port on the router? (try port 3 or 4). It's also possible the ethernet port on the G3 is fried (it took me several days to figure that out on my powermac)

7. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

I noticed that but counted it towards he meant the Linksys router instead.

8. Karic thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems I have a crossover cable. Something that is new to me!
    I was suggested to plug my G3 (with crossover cable) in the uplink port and it is now working fine. What are the advantages/disadvantages of keeping the crossover cable in the uplink port?

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That it works. The uplink port reverses the normal settings so that it converts a regular cat-5 cable into a crossover. Likewise it converts a crossover to a regular.

BTW, MARK YOUR CROSSOVER CABLE! Confusion of this sort happens very easily.

10. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

The problem may not have appeared on the G4 because newer NICs can compensate for different types of cable. My iBook (800MHz G3, Combo) and iMac (700MHz G4, Combo) can use either crossover or straight through cables in all kinds of situations.