DDR2 ram timing and latency for iMac G5 (iSight)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bah-bah'd, Feb 7, 2006.

1. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2006
    I am looking to get a 1 or 2 gig stick of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200) for my new iMac G5. Does anyone know what timing and latency the onboard memory is? I would like to match it exactlly, but I can't find the specs anywhere.

Anyone know if is is possible to push past 2.5 gigs ram?
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    If you purchase from a dealer like datamem.com or crucial.com that deals with Mac guaranteed RAM and you specify you want RAM for your iMac, they will make sure you get RAM that has the correct timing, latency, and everything else you'll need.
  3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    I've actually got one for sale if your interested (thought i would let you know) it was used for a couple of days before my imac g5 was returned (and i got the intel which has a different slot)

Its crucial and has a life time warranty. 1gb - Crucial is charging $123 for the 1GB chip and $899 for the 2gb.... i wouldn pay that for a 2gb chip.

Module Size: 1GB
    Package: 200-pin SODIMM
    Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
    Configuration: 128Meg x 64
    Error Checking: NON-ECC
    Speed: 667
    SDRAM Timings: CL=4
    Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

EDIT - and with out a 4gb chip you cannot puch it passed the 2.5gb limit - im not sure if it will even take that (dont waste your money even if a 4gb exists)
  4. bah-bah'd thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2006
    This forum rocks. Thanks for the suggestions and offers. I think I have found a 2 gig stick that I am going to pick up.