DDR400 in a 1.6 G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by adamfilip, Aug 15, 2004.

1. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    burlington, Ontario canada
    Im looking to ad more ram to my 1.6 g5.

I was thinking of buying ddr 400 memory even tho my g5 only supports ddr 333

will there be any problems with buying the faster memory.

in case i upgrade to something faster i would like to have the option of carrying over the memory.

(of course by that time.. QDR or something else will be standard in macs)
  2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Putting faster memory in a Mac is a waste of money and chances are it'll cause problems. Kernel Panic comes to mind. G5 uses the slow PC2700 CAS3 memory, so stick with that.
  3. adamfilip thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    burlington, Ontario canada
    yes well i know its setup for pc2700

but will pc3200 work.. it should.. shouldn it..

it will just work slower
    and since its working slower then it can it shouldnt make any error
    infact it should be more stable
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  5. rice_web macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Minot, North Dakota
    No, shouldn't be a problem. If, however, you buy RAM slower than required, you better believe you'll encounter a problem or two (well, it's more prone to happen, I've personally never had problems overclocking my RAM in the past, but I've been lucky)
  6. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    I know it SHOULD work. But in my case it didn't. I received 2x128MB PC3200 DIMMs from a new Dual 1.8 G5 and stuck them into my G5 1.6, thinking it should work with no problem. Kernel panic city I tell you. The RAM was fine in the Dual 1.8, and it was the stock RAM, so I am pretty sure it's not bad. I'm curious if someone out there knows something I don't... :confused:

My G5 1.6 hated it until I yanked it... now it is plugging away with no problems...other then having just 256MB RAM :rolleyes:
  7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Get the right speed memory chips.

Quick story: The d****ebags from MacConnection shipped us the wrong memory for my graphite iBook twice: 100MHz and 133MHz. We needed the 66MHz kind. Using the wrong memory didn't allow the machine to boot up, but instead make a tone, I think also flash a light several times from where the iBook's light is that pulses green in sleep, and wouldn't boot up.
  8. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    I'm sorry that you had that problem, but blaming it on the fact that it was PC3200 speed as incorrect. I am 100% sure that DDR and SDR Ram is backwards compatible and just clocks itself down.

It is a good idea to buy the faster RAM sometimes, for example if your computer uses DDR2100 but you are going to upgrade in the near future, buy PC3200 if its just a little bit more expensive so you can use it in the future, I wish I would have done that on my PC.
  9. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    Well that's pretty much irrelevant to this discussion, RAM these days is designed to be backwards compatible.

The reason 100/133MHz SD-RAM didn't work in your 66MHz iBook slot is because they were quite different technologies. The move from 66 to 100MHz involved a voltage decrease in RAM specs which made them incompatible.
  10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Bingo, and I think there is a similar drop in voltage between SDR and DDR -- don't want to check developer docs right now.

We had somebody come by here after they tried to use their older memory (higher voltage) in a newer computer and save $20 -- it killed the computer, no booting after the memory was removed.
  11. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    it works ok. we put 400 on the 1.6Ghz's we sold. it brought down costs because we didn't have to order two different types of memory.