DDR533 in an iMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tateusmaximus, Sep 18, 2004.

1. tateusmaximus macrumors member

tateusmaximus

hey there peoples!

will going over the standard ddr400 spec to say ddr533 bring any performance increase for an iMac G5? i know for a pc in most cases it is ideal to match the ram to the fsb. the imac g5 has a fsb of 600 though so i dont know if thats double pumped already so its really only 300 or if it is actually 600. if in fact that double pumped intel thing even applies to macs.

do macs benifit from paired ram chips for dual channel?

cheers

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I thought DDR533 is part of the DDR2 spec, not DDR?

Anyhow, you gotta find out what the motherboard supports. If it only supports say, 333 MHz DDR, then even if you put in a DDR400 stick, it'll be bumped down to 333 MHz.

So either way, no it's not a good idea.

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I used an G5 1.8Ghz iMac today... It was smokin fast. I'm not too worried about faster memory. It seemed to own my P4 2.4 Ghz.

4. tateusmaximus thread starter macrumors member

tateusmaximus

no not necessarily is ddr533 ddr2. i use it in my ic7max3 intel board and its not ddr2. it is up the top of ddr though in terms of speed without going ddr2.

so does anyone know what speed the board in the imac g5 supports? where would i be able to find out specific details on all the componentry as opposed to general specifications?

as far as owning your 2.4.... any comp can be faster.

5. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I realize that some systems are faster than others. My 2.4 is on the top end for a P4 system. My comment is more or less comparing my experience with PC's and the iMac. I believe that the iMac is far faster than any PC I have used. This is coming from someone who just bought their first Mac. Up until OS X, I was a major Mac hater. :D

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The iMac will use the memory at 400MHz. It can use that kind of RAM (if it's good, which it should be if it runs at 533MHz), but will only run at the max speed of the bus. It will probably run at CAS 3, but the iMac does support 2.5 and 2 if that's the way it is configured. If it defaults to CAS 3, the iMac will run it at that speed. It's not like a PC where you can configure it in the BIOS. You can run dual channel, as long as the 2 sticks of RAM are exactly the same. I got most of this info straight off of Apple's site.