(De)Compression programs on OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwoltman, Oct 16, 2004.

1. jwoltman macrumors newbie

Are there any free programs to handle archive files on OS X? I'm looking for a single program that can handle zip, rar, gzip, bzip2, and I guess sit and bin files (which seem to be normal on OS X).

2. kewpid macrumors regular

StuffIt Expander which comes with OS X handles all those compression formats, except for rar I think.

For rar files: http://unrarx.sourceforge.net/

3. jwoltman thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded StuffIt Expander...is the standard version really freeware now? I seem to remember (in OS 7 days ...it's been a long time since I used a Mac :) ) that StuffIt would nag you to buy the full version.

4. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Stuffit Expander is free and does not nag you to upgrade to a commercial version (except mayve when you upgrade it on-line).

5. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

stuffit does most rar files for me... has trouble with a few but, they where like the 3gig mark but.

6. scan300 macrumors 6502

Panther also has native ZIP compression decompression built in. Just control click on any file or folder and select 'create archive of ... ' and you'll have an instant zip file.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Stuffit comes in two flavors, Stuffit Standard and Stuffit Deluxe. Stuffit Deluxe is the full commerical release with Magic Menus and an application that allows you to browse Stuffit archives. Stuffit Standard is a bundle of freeware Stuffit Expander and shareware drag and drop applets such as DropStuff, DropConvert, etc. Stuffit Expander is no longer available as a standalone download. However, it is still free.