De-partition my MBP HDD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Killyp, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Hi there

I'm now getting kind of irritated that my MBP hard drive is partitioned into 2. I'd really really prefer it if it was one partition.

This came about because I tried boot camp, which partitioned my HDD into two. I didn't end up installing Windows, so I formatted the second partition as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Now I can't repartition the two together. Boot camp just says:

Your Startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition

Your startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

I know I could do it with disk utility, but that would mean formatting the HDD. I really don't want to do that.

What can I do?!?

many thanks!

Alex

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Can't you just delete the second partition in disk util then readd it with BC? Or how about deleting it with disk util then recreating a BC partition and deleting it again?
    PS- I would SERIOUSLY consider backing up before dinking around with the partitions.

3. Killyp thread starter macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'm going to have a fiddle now (with the external drive disconnected! :p ) and see what I can do. I have backups made on the external HDD...

4. pucky macrumors newbie

diskutil is your friend

how about try from the command line. I.e. delete the 2nd partition in the gui diskutil. Once that's done try running diskutil from the command line with the resizeVolume option.

========from my command line=========
    osx-server:~ admin$ diskutil resizeVolume
    Disk Utility Tool
    Usage: diskutil resizeVolume [Mount Point|Disk Identifier|Device Node] size
    <part1Format part1Name part1Size> <part2Format part2Name part2Size> ...
    Non-destructively resize a disk. You may increase or decrease its size.
    When decreasing size, you may optionally supply a list of new partitions to create.
    Ownership of the affected disk is required.
    Valid partition sizes are in the format of <number><size>.
    Valid sizes are B(ytes), K(ilobytes), M(egabytes), G(igabytes), T(erabytes)
    Example: 10G (10 gigabytes), 4.23T (4.23 terabytes), 5M (5 megabytes)
    resizeVolume is only supported on GPT media with a Journaled HFS+ filesystem.
    A size of "limits" will print the range of valid values for the current filesystem.
    Example: diskutil resizeVolume disk1s3 10G
    JHFS+ HDX1 5G MS-DOS HDX2 5G
    Valid filesystems: "Case-sensitive HFS+" "Journaled HFS+" "Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+" "HFS+" "HFS" "MS-DOS FAT32" "MS-DOS FAT16" "MS-DOS" "MS-DOS FAT12" "UFS" "Linux" "Swap"