Deactivating USB Port

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Michael7k, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Michael7k macrumors member

I switch ports around a bit when I update podcasts on the iPod. The front USB port on the PowerMac would never do an iPod update. I plugged the mouse into the keyboard port and it stated "summary" using too much power and will deactivate port. At this time it doens't work. To no avail I have searched for a method to activate the port. That makes one port on monitor and one on keyboard that do not work. Does anyone have an idea how to make a USB port work?

Thank you for your assistance.

Michael

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

It would be helpful if you could tell us what kind of Mac your using, I'm asuming it's a PowerMac G5 because you mentioned a front USB port. The USB port on the keyboards can't really do much, you can plug a mouse in, a gamepad, a USB drive if your lucky but, some devices draw more power than others. I don't think I've had my PowerBook's ports deactivated but, sometimes if I have odd USB issues I restart and it fixes the problem.

I firgured out that the keyboard always worked best in the 1st USB port, eithery directly connected to the computer or in the first port of a USB hub. Maybe try unplugging devices and moving them around. In the worse case you may have damaged one of your USB ports but, that is unlikley.

3. Michael7k thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. I will re-boot and move around USB devices as you suggested.
    Take care and thanks again,
    Michael

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

He did, said it was a PowerMac. :rolleyes:

5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yes but, there are dozens of different PowerMac models, even the G5s, there are a lot of different revisions of those, some also have some problems. The reason I asked was because if it was a new model he can probably get it repaired by Apple if he's under warranty.

6. Kevindp macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem with my Macbook, A notice shows up saying the hub has been deactivated and no matter what I try it simply doesn't work, any other suggestions?

7. debbiez macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem

I just plugged my hard drive into one of the USB ports and it said that the drive was using too much power so the "Hub has been deactivated".

I tried the other USB port and the same thing happened

I restarted my computer but it still won't recognise the existence of the external hard drive, but it does recognise my thumb drive...

any ideas?

my computer is a Macbook from 2006.

thanks!

8. tbrinkma macrumors 68000

You may simply have an external drive which requires more power than a single USB port will supply. Did it come with some other power cable as well? (Some have a second USB cable which ends in a cylindrical power conenctor.) Try that. If that doesn't do it, try plugging it in to a powered hub, and plugging that in to your computer.