Dead 13gig HD in iMac SE DV

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by idogcow, Mar 26, 2002.

1. idogcow macrumors newbie

Mar 26, 2002
    I just had to replace the stock 13 gig drive in my Graphite iMac SE DV due to a "bad controller chip." Repair guy here in Sunnyvale said he has 2 or 3 others with the exact same problem.

I know there is no more warranty on either the drive or the iMac itself, but is this a common problem? A search of the discussions on Apple Knowlegebase seemed to hint at a few others but their boards are disabled temporarily so all I can do is read of others with a similiar fate....

UPDATED: Having ComputerWare put in a new 20gig drive and am saving the old drive for reasons undetermined as of now. Drive is a Quantum Fireball if that helps anyone....
  2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    If you still have the hard drive, I would check with the manufacturer. I had a 6GB drive on an iMac blow it's board not too long ago and obtained a free replacement from the maker. Granted it was a Quantum drive, who have since been bought by Maxtor. Maxtor support shipped out a new drive (exact same one that was in the iMac before) and I believe that it will be covered by a 3 year warranty. Since you have a larger drive, I would imagine that it would be covered as well, and not cost you anything to get a replacement.

Contact the maker and find out for certain.