Dead 3G iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by GFLPraxis, Dec 27, 2006.

1. macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    A friend of mine who is leaving on a trip soon found a discarded (or lost?) 3rd gen 40 GB iPod. She brought it to me to see if there was any way I could get it working.

Pressing any button causes it to turn on. The Apple logo shows up, then a picture of a folder and an exclamation mark, then it shuts off.

I plugged it in to my MacBook via the USB iPod connector that came with my 5G video iPod. The same thing happens when I start it up; apple logo, folder with exclamation mark. Only after a brief moment, it pops up "OK to Disconnect" then quickly switches to a check mark and "Do not disconnect", holds that for a second, and shuts off.

The hard drive spinning noise is not erratic, but it is louder than I remember my sister's 2G iPod being and notably louder than my nearly silent 5G.

Any suggestions as to how to resurrect it?
  2. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    So it's shutting off before you can do a Restore?
  3. macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2006
    Sounds like it needs to be plugged into a firewire adapter. My 4th gen has the exact same problem when the battery is totally dead, it doesn't charge/sync via USB. Needs to be either plugged via firewire or power adapter for it to work.

Give that a go.
  4. thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Thanks guys, I picked up a FireWire iPod cable. I still have the same problem, but I managed to access all the files on the iPod. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the hardware, it just shuts off when I try to boot it.

I figure a restore will work. I found the owner's iTunes account email address though, so I'll be contacting him.

From an ethical perspective, should I try to fix his iPod with a restore, or leave it broken (with files intact) until I've gotten a response?