Dead Battery results in Date (1969) reset and lost airport settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by keyshawn, Jul 22, 2006.

1. keyshawn macrumors member

Hi,

I'm running os x 10.4.7 on a PPC ibook G4 and while I was on vacation, my battery drained completely :eek: (If you're curious, I had to get documents off of there while away and my sister booted up the computer for me. Apparently, she didn't shut it off all the way and the power cord got loose, meh).

So, the real issue here:

When I turned on the computer back home, my clock was reset to the unix 1969 date. I also noticed that my airport settings had been erased completely as well. So far, I've noticed my /home files are still all there, but I'm afraid of what else might have happened.

I looked on apple's site and found that resetting the power management is option. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449
    but I'm not sure if my ibook qualifies, because I bought in late August 2005 (I'm not sure if that counts as 'mid 2005').

I'm not sure how concerned I should be about this or what action I should take.

Regards,
    keyshawn

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It sounds like your PMU was already reset. Everything should be fine from now though. Is it keeping the date and AirPort settings? :)

3. keyshawn thread starter macrumors member

I was in such a rush before, I forgot to notice that my airport locations were still there. I just assumed they were gone because the ibook didn't automatically connect to the router.

Once I connected to my router, the date synched up to the apple server and so far all is well.

Next time, I'll take a bit more time :D Thanks for the help mad jew.

regards,
    keyshawn