Dead Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by alset, Mar 25, 2003.

1. alset macrumors 65816

alset

This is not a question about recovery software - I know thtere are lots of threads dealing with that topic. I need to know if anyone can recommend a company besides Drive Savers (cost is a factor) for recovering data from a damaged disk.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!
    Dan

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

3. alset thread starter macrumors 65816

alset

Thanks very much, eyelikeart! Now if everyone could cross their fingers for my good buddy who's entire music career was wiped out....

Dan

4. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I would say to try alsoft's diskwarrior before anything if it is an HFS or HFS+ drive.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

good luck...let us know if u are able to save your career or not... ;)

6. alset thread starter macrumors 65816

alset

Thanks for the luck, but wish it over to my friend. Poor guy is depressed as can be about it.

Dan

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

DriveSavers, #1 for a reason...

I've used DriveSavers before and had excellent results with them. One of the people at my last job has her PowerBook hard drive fail. No normal utilities could do anything with the drive (DiskWarrior, TTP3 and Norton didn't do anything).

I have a partnership number for DriveSavers, which if you use it (or anyone does) gives a few benefits. One of them, which is a good deal, is if there is no recovery there is no charge. Normally (without the number) there is a charge for them to even try to recover the data. If they DO recover the data from the drive, you get 10% taken off the invoice.

Something your friend should consider, data recovery could qualify as a business expence, and be deducted from his taxes for 2003.

Here are two links for more information... http://www.thetechpub.com/othernewsTTPandDS.html that has the number/code to use to get the discounts. Here is a testimonial about DriveSavers as well... http://www.thetechpub.com/DriveSaverstestimonial1.html

A

8. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I know recovery software was not the thread's point, but diskwarrior has saved many drives that I thought were completely toast, and noticing the price difference, it hardly hurts if it fails.

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I've had drives that utilities couldn't do a thing for, or that kept giving me messages about the drive being damaged and could not be repaired. Those same drives were sent to DriveSavers who were able to recover EVERY LAST FILE on those drives. They seem to have a higher success rate on Mac drives then windblows drives.

Bottom line, if you don't have any utilities to run, or the ones you do have cannot recover the files, DON'T use the drive. Send it out for recovery, especially if the drive contains critical data that has NOT been backed up. Consider what the files/data is worth. Most of the time, the drive contains data that would cost more to try and recreate then the cost of the recovery.

10. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I know man, it sucks losing all your pr0n to a dead drive. :D

11. alset thread starter macrumors 65816

alset

Re: DriveSavers, #1 for a reason...

I actually have recommended Drive Savers a couple times on this board. They saved a wealth of information for me, before. Unfortunately, my buddy who needs recovery service can't afford their rates. Know of anyone else for less money?

Dan