Dead Hard Drive, advice needed!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by alywa, Feb 24, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
    Hi all:

I have a 1yr old eMac (1Ghz, Superdrive, 1GB RAM). Over the last week the hard drive has been acting funny (slow access times, beachballs on certain files, strange "ticking" sound). I tried all the usual suspects (repair permissions, run Onyx, etc), but nothing seemed to work. In fact, I couldn't even completely run the permissions repair.

I finally broke down and brought it to the apple store. They decided it needed a new hard drive. Fortunately, I have applecare, so the cost is covered. Plus, I basically have everything backed up, so I don't think data loss will be a huge issue.

OK, so on to my questions:

1. Do you recommend I do a clean install of 10.3 when I get it back? They said they will install the OS again, but I don't know if it will be a clone or a true CD install. Should I worry about this?

2. I'm planning on using Broken Helix to restore my iTunes music. I do have most of it backed up on DVD, but I think the iPod restore option will be easier. Does anyone know if Broken Helix has been "broken" by any of the iTunes updates?

3. How do I reinstall my "library" folder (ie E-Mail, Safari, Address Book etc). I archived the entire folder... is it just a "drag and drop", or do I need to do it for each program (iCal, Safari, Mail, Address Book, etc).

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

2. macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    Use the same "short name" in your account as you used previously.