Dead Hard Drive (not Mac Specific)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pjkelnhofer, Mar 24, 2005.

1. pjkelnhofer macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2003
    Hoping some one here can help me (or at least give me some hope).

I build a windows pc for my wife's best friend (she needed a new cheap - very cheap computer). I put it together for about $175 (I had a lot of the parts already). Anyhow, one of the few new things in it was a 120Gb hard drive that has suddenly stopped working. According to the friend, nothing preceded this the computer just would not boot up. Upon inspection, the HD is just not powering up at all. I emailed Western Digital (the drive's manufacturer), but haven't heard back yet.

Is there any hope? I don't even care about get the drive working again, but I would like to try to save anything that I can off it!

Thanks in advance!
  2. eroda macrumors member

Mar 13, 2005
    if the hdd wont power up that data is gone if you send it to WD and its under warrenty and if they conclude it was broken under normal usage and it due to faulty equipment they will jsut replace it and ur data will be gone, also if you were to pull apart the hdd to try to get it working again the data will be gone due to micro dust particles getting on the hard disk.

neway meh
  3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    If the drive is not powering up, then it's either the drive itself or the power supply in the PC (assuming the power connector is properly inserted in the drive). You could try another PSU if you have one. PSUs have a higher failure rate than disks, you might be lucky.