dead ibook :(

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by csubear, Dec 15, 2003.

1. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

So.. i was sitting at my ibook not doing much of anything and the screen started to fad to white. I went holy crap and hit the reset button. Now the ibook turns on but there is no display. :( It is still under warenty thank god (i got it in april). I am copying my file of it right now.. (30 GB home). Should i call apple care, or take it to the apple store. There is one right down the road from me.
    Anyone have this happen before. This kinda sucks, this ibook is my life blood. I use it all the time for work. And it being down is going to really suck.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Call the Apple Store and see what they advise.

3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

yet another horror story about an apple laptop.

sorry to hear about your misfortune :(

I would go to the store just down the road and see what they have to say.

4. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

update: after copying all my files, and then restarting the unit.(i had restarted atleast 15 times before). the screen came back to life. now i don't know what to do. i would of rather it stayed dead and apple fixed it. now what happens if it dies 6 months down the road, and i don't have a warenty anymore? then i am severly f-d, and i don't want to spend $300 on apple care. i think i am going to take it to the store, and see what they say.

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

spending that 300 on apple care will pay for itself over and over as apple laptops sure seem to have a lot go wrong with them. you won't regret getting it trust me.

6. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

ya i know.. i should get the apple care. but i think that if i get it i will get it before the 1 year is up.

update:
    it did it again :( and now it is off to the land of broken apples, but they were very nice at the apple store. everything is getting taken care of free of charge :), and i will get the unit back in 5-7 days :) o well

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

good to see you got some fair treatment.

I hope all goes well for you. best of luck.

8. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

9. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

if you are in USA you have 12 months of warranty, in EU - 24 months. (before you rant about that - EU macs cost like 40 % more in media..)

sell your mac before the 1 (or 2 year if in europe) warranty is over and buy a new one. if there is a problem it's not yours but of the person who bought it.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just letting you know I had the same problem with my iBook. I took it to the local AppleCentre, and a week later I had a working system again. It wouldn't normally take a week, but they had to get a new part in from Australia, who in turn had to get it from somewhere else.

11. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

If it's nackered (fingers crossed) then you may recieve a new G4 iBook:D,

Also upgrading your computer every 12 months is a rather expencive solution, I've had my Athlon 1GHz for 3 years now and it's still kicking on strong.

12. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

My iBook died tonight! Funeral tomorrow?

Weird, cause my iBook 700MHz 14" died tonight, I mean totally dead.
    Push the button, nothing happens. :(

I took out the "replacement battery" that I bought a week ago, then put it back in. It's fully charged. Nothing! :mad:

Well, I have been eyeing the new G4 iBooks, but really want a 15" PB.
    Unfortunately, that's $1000 MORE! :eek:

Thinking that I might trade it in (salvage for parts) towards a new "book", I took the freshly charged new battery out, and slapped in the old (down to 1 hour per charge) battery.
    :confused:
    ...I wonder?
    Pushing the start button, then low and behold, ACTION! :p

1. Take your iBook in and make sure they fix it good.
    2. Without any hesitation what-so-ever, buy Apple Care to extend the warranty on any laptop by 2 years.
    3. Anything that goes wrong out of warranty means the repair will exceed its value after it's fixed... guaranteed!

Happily, I have a PERFECT LCD, no bad pixels, and it apparently ain't broke..! .:)

13. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Are you sure? I'm 99% sure it's only a year in the UK. John Lewis (a UK reseller) gives a two year warranty on all computers they sell but they're the only ones AFAIK. You're right about macs costing more though :(

14. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

thanks for the post guys, i was thinking about selling the unit before the 1 year was up and getting the 12" powerbook, but when the ibook G4 came out there was pircewars on ebay with G3 ibooks. now my ibook isn't worth as much, i think maybe $800-$900 that would put me at a $500 diff for a edu powerbook. too much to pay when i just bought a ibook this year. o well but i hope that i get it back so, or a get a notice that they are out of parts for the 14" G3 and they have to give me a G4 or something, that would be great! i know its a pipe dream, but i can hope :)