Dead Imac, and what i did.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by csubear, Mar 26, 2004.

1. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Well this morning my wife wakes me up an tells me that safari isn't working. I go hun? How does safari not work, its just a web browser. I go look, and indeed safari would not open. So I tell her to restart the computer and this is where things head south. It got to the screen with the apple logo and just stayed there. I'm telling my self this is no good. I have been a victim of the ibook logic board and now a dead iMac? I just got done convincing my wife about how great mac are, and now her computer dies.

Well anyways. I do the apple-v start up and it goes until after it mounts the root partition, (where the kernal loads) and just stops. So I run the hardware tests, remove the extra ram, unplug her tablet, repair the disk, repair permissions, zap the PRAM. Nothing works, still just sits there trying to load the kernal. So as a last ditch effort I fire up the restore disk, and did an install with keeping existing users. Everything work just fine, but safari still didn't work! I did all the updates, 10.3.1->10.3.3 and downloaded safari. And now everything is fine, but I am wondering what in good gods name happend. Macs are not supposed to do this. (I have never had something like this happen before). Any one else ever see this?

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

nah,,,never happened...i would have first deleted the preferences for safari..but as you said, your machine was not even restarting...so it was something bigger than that...sorry no idea ..what happened..but glad that you got it back...nothing worse than seeing your mac die..

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I'm kinda stumped too. Though, if you've been trying to run safari from the dock, check to see that it is directing itself to your safari in the applications folder. Maybe safari was moved, or something, from that folder. Or maybe the link from the dock shortcut got changed for some reason. Try just running safari from the applications folder.

If that doesn't work, then good luck with it, I'm sure someone on this board can help you.

4. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Does your wife have much in the way of third-party stuff installed, specifically things that might have frameworks or other system-altering properties?

5. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

6. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

usually when i get a continuous bounce, I do all my maintenance stuff.

sudo periodic daily
    sudo periodic weekly
    sudo periodic monthly

all in the terminal, separately. Weekly will take a fair bit of time.

and then repair permissions.

7. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

i'll have to keep that in mind, but i am not sure it would of helped, the computer is on 24/7 and never sleeps, so cron gets to run the maintenace scripts.

8. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I don't mean to be pushy with my maintenance tips, but i think this is a great article about os x maintenance:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/11/21/maintenance.html

I think the continuous bouncing could be a prebinding problem. Look in the article for prebinding, or just type this into your terminal:

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

9. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

My friend has an ibook with a new logic board and in the last couple weeks any time it gives him a pop-up window to answer some type of question or change an option the computer crashes, so, he can't go to system preferences, can't create new users, etc. Really weird situation, he has it covered under applecare and if this post is still running when I get an update on the problem I'll let ya'll know, but it is one of the wierdest things I have heard of in awhile. Just a little FYI.