Dead iMac G5, maybe?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by, Sep 15, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Ok, so, I'm getting very frustrated with my iMac (G5 w/ iSight). A while ago it was having some sleep and fan issues, but a firmware reset seemed to fix that for a while. Now it appears that the hard drive has issues. Both yesterday and today, I was getting serious beachballing for around 10-15 minutes when doing things like logging in and opening Dashboard. Today I decided to boot from the restore dvd and verify the permissions and the disk. Permissions were verified and repaired properly, however, when I verified the disk, it produced an error like invalid key length or something and told me the disk needed to be repaired. So I attempted to repair the disk, it started repairing something, but then I got an error message telling me that the disk could not be repaired. After that, the disk grayed out in Disk Utility and isn't recognized in Startup Disk. I rebooted holding option, and the drive showed up, but when I tried to boot from it, the gray logo and wheel showed up, and about 30 seconds later the system shut down. I'm starting to panic because I have alot of important data on that drive and no backups because I'm dumb. I have a copy of OS X on my iPod, I was considering booting from that and trying to backup, since it seems the hdd still mounts, but I'm not sure. Should I try that or just take it in to an Apple Store and hope that they can recover my data?
  2. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2006
    Clearwater, FL
    Call apple care.

If not, take it to the apple store asap.